• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Qualifying for SSDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Briang_74

Hello,

I have a question about qualifying for SSDI.

I'm 46 years old and currently working for the federal government in Hawaii, but looking to terminate employment due to my disability. As of June 5, 2020 I'm now classified as legally blind with a visual acuity of 20/200 in both eyes. I've been employed with the federal government since Feb 2019 (1 year and 6 months). Prior to working with the federal government, I was a student using the GI Bill for 6 years after leaving the military in 2012. During those 6 years, I did not receive any work credits, or have any declared income on my taxes. After looking into the SSDI process, I received my Social Security Statement and it says I am not eligible for SSDI based on not having enough credits in the right time period (I'm missing 6 years of work history from 2012 through 2018 while going to school). However, I read on the Social Security website, that certain blind workers only have to meet the duration of work test (which for my age is 6 years), and not the recent work test (24 work credits with in the last 10 years).

My question is, for the duration of work test, does the 6 years I need to qualify go back to my entire work history, or does that 6 years duration fall with a certain time frame (similar to the recent work test)? For example, does my 6 years have to be within the last 10 years? Or will 6 years any where within my entire work history qualify for SSDI?

Please let me know your thoughts on the work duration requirement for blind workers, thank you.

FlyingRon

The special rule for being blind says you can count quarters over your entire career rather than just the last ten years.
Your military time counts. How long were you in the military? Have you gone to socialsecurity.gov/myaccount and verified they have all your employment history?

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10052.pdf

Briang_74

Thank you for the feedback. The problem is my Social Security Statement doesn't take into account the special rule is for blindness (they are not aware I'm blind), which is probably why my statement says I'm not eligible. However, I'll contact Social Security today to start the process. I interpreted the special rule regarding duration of time the same way you did. I just wanted confirmation that I interpreted it correctly before I move forward with a claim. I'm still working, so I heard that wil be a problem getting approved. I guess I need to transition out of employment before I apply? Do you know if you can get SSDI while transitioning out of employment? Or do you need to be unemployed when you apply?

LdiJ

Thank you for the feedback. The problem is my Social Security Statement doesn't take into account the special rule is for blindness (they are not aware I'm blind), which is probably why my statement says I'm not eligible. However, I'll contact Social Security today to start the process. I interpreted the special rule regarding duration of time the same way you did. I just wanted confirmation that I interpreted it correctly before I move forward with a claim. I'm still working, so I heard that wil be a problem getting approved. I guess I need to transition out of employment before I apply? Do you know if you can get SSDI while transitioning out of employment? Or do you need to be unemployed when you apply?
You aren't going to qualify for SSI if you are employed and your employment provides you more financial benefits than SSI/SSDI would provide.

Briang_74

I understand about the SSI. What about SSDI? Can you transition out of employment and get SSDI? Or do you have to not be working to receive SSDI?

Briang_74

Basically, I'm currently working but looking to stop working due to my disability. However, I can't afford to stop unless I receive SSDI. So, I'm not sure about the best way forward. I don't want to apply, and get denied b/c I'm employed.

LdiJ

Basically, I'm currently working but looking to stop working due to my disability. However, I can't afford to stop unless I receive SSDI. So, I'm not sure about the best way forward. I don't want to apply, and get denied b/c I'm employed.
The bottom line is if you can work, you won't be awarded SSDI. SSDI is for people who cannot work due to their disability.

doucar

In order to qualify for SSD you must not be working due to an illness or mental condition that is expected to last more than a year or result in death. If you are working when you apply, you will not be eligible it will take in most cases a year to year and a 1/2 or longer for the disability determination to be made and you cannot be working during that time, because of the disability.

aldaron

If degradation of your eye sight is employment related the feds have a great worker's comp program. Looking at a computer screen for 50 hours a week for example. Your MOS in the military might have contributed to your condition. Chemicals, lasers etc.. You need to do some research.

Briang_74

If degradation of your eye sight is employment related the feds have a great worker's comp program. Looking at a computer screen for 50 hours a week for example. Your MOS in the military might have contributed to your condition. Chemicals, lasers etc.. You need to do some research.
Thank you for the feedback, yes I putt a VA disability claim in for my vision issue. I was diagnosed in service, so I'm hopeful it will get approved. I'll look into the worker'comp at work too. That's a good suggestion, thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">