• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about a family dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kristenc87

I have an...odd...question:
I am having a family dispute. I lived in my parent's basement for a few years. Upon moving out, it was agreed that I would have all of my stuff completely out of the house by June 4th. On June 3rd, after spending every weekend getting more stuff out, my mother sent all of my stuff to my sister's house. When I called her on it she has informed me that she instructed my sister to keep it and not allow me access to my remaining stuff. I informed my sister that I still had the right the rest of my stuff. When I went to go pick it up on the 4th (the agreed upon day), she informed me she would charge me with breaking and entering and trespassing. She then claimed that since it was in her home, it was her property. I have made multiple attempts to peacefully resolve the matter. I have a reliable source informing me that she (my sister) is taking items of mine and dropping them off at a donation center without my consent. I informed her last night that if I am not allowed entry to get the rest of my stuff voluntarily I will file to get my items.

What should I do now? Do I have a right to my belongings?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What state?

Also, I would think about whether the remainder of the stuff is worth the hassle. Sometimes, it's best to just walk away.

PayrollHRGuy

Sue both your parent and if your sister if it comes to that. It was your parents that you had an agreement with to hold your stuff until June 4th.

quincy

Thank you for answering our questions, Kristen.

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your child. I cannot imagine a pain any greater.

It can be hard to have returned any items of sentimental value if the one holding these items refuses to return them. Small claims courts in Utah can be used to collect monetary damages but cannot be used to recover property.

I suggest you make a list of those items currently being held by your sister and send a copy of this list to your sister along with a date in the future when you will be by to pick up these items. Ask the police for a civil standby if you anticipate problems retrieving your property.

Curious: Why did you leave your mother's house and why is your sister refusing to give you your property?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">