• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about a forum

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pineapple81

Not sure where to post this.

I have been a member of a Canadian forum where one of the side topics was about politics. I began to notice that two of the site's moderators were posting rather racist/xenophobic content with links to far right websites. When I spoke out about this, without calling anyone names, just pointing out wrong factual information, I was banned. This happened a few more times (the reasons given were usually not related, such as 'arguing with a moderator' etc). I complained to another moderator, in private about this, who told me that he has been trying to get these two moderators replaced for a while as their 'neo-fascist rhetoric' (in his words) was getting to him but to no avail.

I then also complained to the company that owns the forum and they dismissed my complaint (citing that I since was banned several times, my complaint had little validity). My complaint was also forwarded to the two moderators in question which then banned me permanently. They then must have looked through mine and the other moderator's private inbox because they also banned the other moderator (who was on my side throughout the whole ordeal).

I realise this is perhaps not really a legal question but I found the whole thing disturbing. There is no appeals process nor any real oversight of how moderation is conducted and complaints are not taken seriously plus they just get rid of people that complain or speak out (I have seen the same pattern with other users). Is there anything else that one can do from a legal perspective or otherwise? Or a more suitable place where I can ask for advice on this?

quincy

Not sure where to post this.

I have been a member of a Canadian forum where one of the side topics was about politics. I began to notice that two of the site's moderators were posting rather racist/xenophobic content with links to far right websites. When I spoke out about this, without calling anyone names, just pointing out wrong factual information, I was banned. This happened a few more times (the reasons given were usually not related, such as 'arguing with a moderator' etc). I complained to another moderator, in private about this, who told me that he has been trying to get these two moderators replaced for a while as their 'neo-fascist rhetoric' (in his words) was getting to him but to no avail.

I then also complained to the company that owns the forum and they dismissed my complaint (citing that I since was banned several times, my complaint had little validity). My complaint was also forwarded to the two moderators in question which then banned me permanently. They then must have looked through mine and the other moderator's private inbox because they also banned the other moderator (who was on my side throughout the whole ordeal).

I realise this is perhaps not really a legal question but I found the whole thing disturbing. There is no appeals process nor any real oversight of how moderation is conducted and complaints are not taken seriously plus they just get rid of people that complain or speak out (I have seen the same pattern with other users). Is there anything else that one can do from a legal perspective or otherwise? Or a more suitable place where I can ask for advice on this?
I'm sorry. FreeAdvice addresses US laws and US legal questions only.

In the US, defamation laws are state laws, and each US state handles defamation differently.

Yours is not so much a defamation question but one of rights of people to post to internet forums. There are no rights. The forum owner makes the rules and decides who stays and who goes. If you are banned from a forum, you find another forum.

But if you want to discuss this, you will need to find a place in your Canadian Province to do so.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">