• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about a living trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Arizona and my mother in law just passed. I am not legally divorced from her son but we have not lived together for 12 years. I remained close with her regardless of my relationship with him. I started dating him at 15yrs old and lived with him and his family for 17 years at age 32 then I left him and took our 5 yr old son with me. I didnt legally divorce him as he hasnt had a job to pay child support and I did not want him to have legal visitation with my son so I waited until he turned 18 to divorce. He is now that age so it is time but his mother got cancer this year and so he moved back home after she became bedridden and I was still very involved in her care. I was the last person to be with her at hospice before she passed - he was with his girlfriend which had been his mothers care giver for two months prior to hospice. I had terrible fight with him about this girls care and his of my mother in law two weeks before she passed as she was calling me and telling me they were not feeding her or cleaning her up for entire days at a time. She was completely bed ridden and I would go there , bring food and clean her up finally I had fight with him after he came into her room and was yelling at her in front of me on one of these visits - he was being abusive to her and it was disgusting. Anyway she has now passed and he has all access to her papers and belongings and has told our son that he is in charge of lots of money left to him and some to me but will give it when he is ready and only if we dont piss him off. I do know that in Az recorded documents she has a living trust under her name but that is all I know for sure. Is there anything we can do to find out what is going on other than him ? Thank you in advance


Senior Member
if mother-in-law did leave you something in trust, then you would be considered to be a beneficiary.

unless arizona is different from normal, you have the right to see the trust.

your husband has no real ability to do anything but what the trust instructs the trustee to do - assuming he is the trustee.

sounds to me like he just wants to be on a power trip, and have you grovel at his feet for awhile !!


Junior Member
Thank you very much for replying - I did ask him to see the trust paperwork and he has told me everything from he doesnt have it to he does he just wants to see if he finds any other papers
or valuables to be added. He claims that he has found several papers that look much like stocks look that are all in my sons name. But doesnt know what they are for sure and he wont give him
any of it if he doesnt get a job as he just quit his job of 2+ years. He told me that he has a envelope with a few thousand for me but wasnt sure when I would want it. So I said now and I want to
see the trust he told me to come to his house to get it and to see the trust this morning. I went over (it is quite the distance in another city) and he just did not answer the door - so I have had it
with this and if it means giving up the money if there really is any so be it. Its better than dealing with him and letting him get some pleasure from running me around etc. I just would like to know if there
is a way to request to view the trust once he gives it to the state to change everything over into his name? And if he has not done what it says what can I do then? He says he is in control of
everything which is fine - I just want to see the trust and if he is - great.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential