• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about a methamphetamine charge my GF happened to get...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheCockroach

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

So like .. my GF got caught shooting up in a Burger King bathroom in Sevier County, TN. When asked by the officer what was in the syringe, she admitted it was methamphetamine (aka ice, the term she used) .Her public defender has told her that she'll have to serve 30 days in jail for it. But I've been told by several people, that she could "possibly" get it reduced to only a drug paraphernalia charge. Which is actually true, and would it actually be worth trying to fight, and/or hire legal counsel to do so in this case..?

Last edited:

CdwJava

Her attorney can inform her what the options are in her local court. You cannot generally compare results because people's circumstances and criminal histories can be very different. These other "several people" may have been in another court or had different circumstances.

If she wants to improve her chances at a plea deal that limits or leaves off jail time, perhaps she ought to get into a drug treatment program NOW. Getting clean and remaining clean can be a good way to show the court that she is going to change.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Yes...One that doesn't "happen" to have a drug addiction.
That would mean that OP would have to change his *ahem* life style as well.

If OP is concerned that the public defender is not a good fit for his GF's case, and OP has the means, then of course he is free to help his GF with the $ to retain a lawyer. However, the results cannot be guaranteed to be any better.

I concur with shoppdu.

Last edited:

quincy

Her attorney can inform her what the options are in her local court. You cannot generally compare results because people's circumstances and criminal histories can be very different. These other "several people" may have been in another court or had different circumstances.

If she wants to improve her chances at a plea deal that limits or leaves off jail time, perhaps she ought to get into a drug treatment program NOW. Getting clean and remaining clean can be a good way to show the court that she is going to change.
Shoppdu? So, when did this happen?

All of the changes on this forum are starting to make my head hurt.

CdwJava

WTF?

Okay, I had a problem logging in today, and now I find out that I'm SHOPPDU???

<sigh> Email off to Mary ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">