• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about a second home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rowz

Greetings from New Jersey.

Note: Many here have been extremely helpful in the almost 2 years I have been posting questions about this inheritance & will contest. Its almost concluded now with positive outcomes for my friend. This site & its forum has been very helpful to us.

My friend has inherited 1/2 of a house which is contiguous to his first home [which is about to be paid off].
He is buying out the owner of the other half of property #2.
#2 may be used for a rental OR it might be used for storage OR as a business property for his long established small business. [questions on how to effect a zoning change/variance may come to the site down the road, but we are not there yet]

#2 is being purchased via the proceeds from a re-fi on #1.

How should the title be held on #2 to best advantage for taxes and liability concerns. [and any other good reason that you folks here can think of that might be helpful.]

Thanks in advance.

RowZWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

Greetings from New Jersey.

Note: Many here have been extremely helpful in the almost 2 years I have been posting questions about this inheritance & will contest. Its almost concluded now with positive outcomes for my friend. This site & its forum has been very helpful to us.

My friend has inherited 1/2 of a house which is contiguous to his first home [which is about to be paid off].
He is buying out the owner of the other half of property #2.
#2 may be used for a rental OR it might be used for storage OR as a business property for his long established small business. [questions on how to effect a zoning change/variance may come to the site down the road, but we are not there yet]

#2 is being purchased via the proceeds from a re-fi on #1.

How should the title be held on #2 to best advantage for taxes and liability concerns. [and any other good reason that you folks here can think of that might be helpful.]

Thanks in advance.

RowZWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

**A: I suggest he contact a tax law attorney.

rowz

LOL..... & chuckling as well.

Thank you HomeGuru.

I am sure he would end up there as well....but we hoped that there would be something from the Forum that would allow him to understand what options/theories/ideas that may exist in this arena of those with much experience.

Sigh**************all righty then!

HomeGuru

LOL..... & chuckling as well.

Thank you HomeGuru.

I am sure he would end up there as well....but we hoped that there would be something from the Forum that would allow him to understand what options/theories/ideas that may exist in this arena of those with much experience.

Sigh**************all righty then!
**A: then the OP should post in the correct Tax Law forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">