• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about a will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

just a bit of background information , when my Nan dies myself and my uncle will own half her house each , I don’t speak to my Nan or my uncle ( we fell out after her changing her half of the will from myself to my uncle ) , my question is .. I’ve been told my a family member that my Nan is having jobs done on her house and she’s saying that she’s charging them to her estate so when she dies my uncle will get that money back and I’ll lose out on money from my share , is this allowed and legal to do? Hope that makes sense

HRZ

You are someplace in USA?

Generally speaking Nan would be entitled to spend all her holdings as she sees fit , including spend away everything , plus change her will yet again leaving you entirely out .....

IF you have distanced yourself from Nan, she might well distance her estate from you.......you seem destined to flunk family dynamics 101 .

You are someplace in USA?

Generally speaking Nan would be entitled to spend all her holdings as she sees fit , including spend away everything , plus change her will yet again leaving you entirely out .....

IF you have distanced yourself from Nan, she might well distance her estate from you.......you seem destined to flunk family dynamics 101 .
Sorry I’m from the UK

I don’t mind what she does with her half , she has changed her will leaving me entirely out of it but now they are saying that i’ll Lose money from my grandads half as well by them charging any bills to the estate meaning I’ll lose out on money from my half

LdiJ

just a bit of background information , when my Nan dies myself and my uncle will own half her house each , I don’t speak to my Nan or my uncle ( we fell out after her changing her half of the will from myself to my uncle ) , my question is .. I’ve been told my a family member that my Nan is having jobs done on her house and she’s saying that she’s charging them to her estate so when she dies my uncle will get that money back and I’ll lose out on money from my share , is this allowed and legal to do? Hope that makes sense
I cannot imagine any scenario where it would be possible to charge repairs to someone's estate. Now, if your uncle is loaning her money to make the repairs and the money has not been paid back your uncle would be entitled to receive the money from her estate.

However, do you already own half of the house, or are the remainderman on half of the house? Otherwise, I do not understand why your Nan cannot just leave the whole thing to your uncle.

I cannot imagine any scenario where it would be possible to charge repairs to someone's estate. Now, if your uncle is loaning her money to make the repairs and the money has not been paid back your uncle would be entitled to receive the money from her estate.

However, do you already own half of the house, or are the remainderman on half of the house? Otherwise, I do not understand why your Nan cannot just leave the whole thing to your uncle.
Sorry if anything I say doesn’t make sense as I’m really not clued up on wills at all , haven’t had any dealing with anything like this before .

They are saying my uncle is loaning her the money like you said above but my Nan has actually paid for the jobs so my uncle hasn’t really loaned her the money , they are just saying he has as she’s paid for everything in cash so he can have more money than me

I own my grandads half of the house as he’s passed away ( both myself and my Nan are joint executors )

HRZ

This site deals is USA issues ....

What you post makes no sense at all....and it just so happens that one of my cherished texts on estate and real estate law is a UK one ...and what you post so far makes no sense at all. I have zero doubt that if you alienate Nan she can make your pocketbook a good bit lighter at her end.

This site deals is USA issues ....

What you post makes no sense at all....and it just so happens that one of my cherished texts on estate and real estate law is a UK one ...and what you post so far makes no sense at all. I have zero doubt that if you alienate Nan she can make your pocketbook a good bit lighter at her end.
Sorry what doesn’t make sense and I’ll try and elaborate a bit more? This is what I’ve been told by a family member that she’s going to say that my uncle has loaned her the money to pay for jobs that need doing on the house so he will be entitled to more money than me ( so if the house sells for £100.000 , he could take the £10,000 he loaned her ( as an example ) and then the remaining £90,000 will be split between us therefore I’d get less than the half I was entitled to originally which would of been £50,000

LdiJ

Sorry if anything I say doesn’t make sense as I’m really not clued up on wills at all , haven’t had any dealing with anything like this before .

They are saying my uncle is loaning her the money like you said above but my Nan has actually paid for the jobs so my uncle hasn’t really loaned her the money , they are just saying he has as she’s paid for everything in cash so he can have more money than me

I own my grandads half of the house as he’s passed away ( both myself and my Nan are joint executors )
Ok, if you own your grandad's half of the house, then his half of the house will NOT be part of your Nan's estate since you already own it. Therefore your Nan's plan is a foolish one.

Ok, if you own your grandad's half of the house, then his half of the house will NOT be part of your Nan's estate since you already own it. Therefore your Nan's plan is a foolish one.
That’s what I wanted to know whether it was something they could do but apparently they’ve be told after seeking legal advice that it was something they could do , I’ve been told this by a family member so how true it is I don’t know , obviously I don’t have anything to do with my Nan or my uncle so can’t exactly ask them

HRZ

Your above post makes a tiny bit of sense ...but the nature of the share of home you own is a tad unclear...one guess is that you own 1/2 and Nan owns 1/2 and she holds a life right to be there . In many contexts you are better off that the life tenant well maintains the estate...there more usual problem is that life tenant defers and avoids maintenance and more . Nan may be free to wIll her 1/2 to the local cat shelter and spend her personal money away .

I suspect Nan is into a bit of a game to reduce taxes on her estate ...and its best not to probe into same ...

I am a bit lost as to how her supposed debt to him impacts your 1/2 of a separate share UNLESS you have some facts wrong ...

Let's say Nan adds a major upgrade to the home for L 40,000 supposedly borrowed ....under what theory do you think your 1/2 share of the whole home has been diminished ? IF Nan is playing tax games you might be smarter to just shut up !

Your above post makes a tiny bit of sense ...but the nature of the share of home you own is a tad unclear...one guess is that you own 1/2 and Nan owns 1/2 and she holds a life right to be there . In many contexts you are better off that the life tenant well maintains the estate...there more usual problem is that life tenant defers and avoids maintenance and more . Nan may be free to wIll her 1/2 to the local cat shelter and spend her personal money away .

I suspect Nan is into a bit of a game to reduce taxes on her estate ...and its best not to probe into same ...

I am a bit lost as to how her supposed debt to him impacts your 1/2 of a separate share UNLESS you have some facts wrong ...

Let's say Nan adds a major upgrade to the home for L 40,000 supposedly borrowed ....under what theory do you think your 1/2 share of the whole home has been diminished ? IF Nan is playing tax games you might be smarter to just shut up !
From what I can gather from my grandads will I own his half of the house and my Nan owns the other half of the house ( the half which will then become my uncles when she passes away ) , it states in his will that my Nan must live at the property for aslong as she lives aslong as she pays all the outgoings and keep the house in good repair

All I was told my a family member who my Nan has told about her plans is that she has sought legal advice and that is she says my uncles loaned her money for repairs on the house then once she passes away he can claim that money back and the value of the house will be less therefore I’ll be entitled to less money than I would be if she hadn’t loaned him any money

I don’t understand this myself thats why I’m trying to seek advice on whether this is something they can do , essentially doing me out of money that I’m entitled too

Last edited:

Just Blue

Sorry what doesn’t make sense and I’ll try and elaborate a bit more? This is what I’ve been told by a family member that she’s going to say that my uncle has loaned her the money to pay for jobs that need doing on the house so he will be entitled to more money than me ( so if the house sells for £100.000 , he could take the £10,000 he loaned her ( as an example ) and then the remaining £90,000 will be split between us therefore I’d get less than the half I was entitled to originally which would of been £50,000
This site deal with United States Law ONLY. You will need to find a UK Site to ask your questions.

Just Blue

Sorry I didn’t see that stated anywhere , just googled where I could get advice and it brought me here
When you started your thread there was a question which you deleted. That question was : "US Law
Only; What is the name of your state?" ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">