• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about abusive relatives

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



State: MI
My question is : Is there any law that would protect me and my children, from mental and verbal abuse being thrust on us in our own house by relatives who are "visiting" or otherwise. Where can I turn to if the environment in my house is too hostile to live normally, where the abuser is not my husband but my mother-in-law or sister-in-law? If I go to the police for refuge, what are they allowed to do for me under the law?

[Edited by copperbird45 on 06-01-2001 at 05:01 PM]



Tell them to get out of your house. It is your house, you dont have to have anyone in there that you dont want in there.

Grandma B

I agree with REParkerr

In addition, if your husband is allowing his relatives to mentally and verbally abuse you and your children, he is a part of the problem. The first obligation of both you and your husband is to protect those children! Mental and verbal abuse can have long-lasting effects on them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential