• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about adoption of family members newborn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jvaughan

Missouri or Illinois
My cousin overdosed on drugs and her baby was delivered via emergency c-section. She is currently on life support. She has 3 other children but they were legally adopted by her parents. With the new baby there has been a discussion of me potentially adopting the newborn but I’m not sure of the procedures or what to expect. With the baby testing positive for drugs I know that Illinois requires it to be reported but am unsure about Missouri. She lives in Missouri but her other children live with their grandparents in Illinois, right on the boarder in the St. Louis metro area. Am seeking any information since this is a special situation.

Just Blue

Missouri or Illinois
My cousin overdosed on drugs and her baby was delivered via emergency c-section. She is currently on life support. She has 3 other children but they were legally adopted by her parents. With the new baby there has been a discussion of me potentially adopting the newborn but I’m not sure of the procedures or what to expect. With the baby testing positive for drugs I know that Illinois requires it to be reported but am unsure about Missouri. She lives in Missouri but her other children live with their grandparents in Illinois, right on the boarder in the St. Louis metro area. Am seeking any information since this is a special situation.
Where is the father to this baby? What is the prognosis for Mom? Is the baby in CPS care?

Jvaughan

From what my family has told me he is also a drug addict and not in the picture. Her prognosis is not great. Doctors are not very optimistic, she is on a ventilator and if by chance she does pull through if she wer to go back to using due the damage already done to her body she will die. The same thing has happened to each one of her children. Not sure about CPS yet, the baby was just born within the past 2 days.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
From what my family has told me he is also a drug addict and not in the picture. Her prognosis is not great. Doctors are not very optimistic, she is on a ventilator and if by chance she does pull through if she wer to go back to using due the damage already done to her body she will die. The same thing has happened to each one of her children. Not sure about CPS yet, the baby was just born within the past 2 days.
And? Father has constitutional rights. He needs to be informed. CPS will need to inform him and give him a chance to reunify IF he wants that chance and if they get involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">