• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about business and copyright

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nildnas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

As a business owner i do a large amount of technical drawings where I am the sole author. I should be able to get all my drawings copyrighted as a group and still be able to sell them, correct?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

As a business owner i do a large amount of technical drawings where I am the sole author. I should be able to get all my drawings copyrighted as a group and still be able to sell them, correct?
Your drawings are automatically copyrighted once they are drawn. There is no need to do anything more. However, if you wish for your drawings to be eligible for statutory damages in the event they are infringed, you can register your drawings with the Copyright Office. Here is a link: http://copyright.gov

Even if you make copies of your drawings and sell the copies, you retain the copyrights in them unless or until you expressly transfer away these rights in the drawings to another by way of a written and signed transfer agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">