• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about cease and desist letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soulslayer

What is the name of your state? VA

I have a website with the name WAHM.com as a portion of it. I have received a cease and desist letter from the owners of WAHM.com telling me I'm infringing on their trademark use of the name. What the letter actually said was

I "used their WAHM.com trademark" and that use is a "blatant infringement of it's trademark and a form of unfair competition. In particular, your improper use would cause or is likely to cause consumer confusion as to the origin of source between your websites and WAHM.com"

I have searched extensively and they have no trademark ownership of WAHM.com. Do they have any right or cause to ask me to remove my website?

The Occultist

They might not have registered their mark, but that is not necessary for them to have protection. Trademark protection arises from use of a mark in commerce. If they have been doing that for longer than you've been using the mark, then, regardless of any lack of registration, you are infringing on their mark.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">