• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about changing my rent mid-lease.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Camrobinson1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Ok I signed a lease at an apartment complex in aug 08. The landlord was aware that I had 2 small dogs. I paid a pet deposit which is documented in the lease. About 3 days ago I had a note on my door stating that starting Dec 1 the pet policy was changing and that I would have to sign a Pet lease by nov. 28 or would be evicted. It also stated that I would have to pay an additional 25$ per pet a month. So now my rent has increased by 50$ a month. When I saw my landlord I told her that it stated in my lease that I was to pay 409/mo not 459/mo she said that she was not changing my rent just adding a new fee. I just want to know if this is legal?? I moved in this place because it was so reasonable and allowed pets for a one time deposit. Any advice would be very appreciated. Thank you

Camrobinson1

OK if it isnt legal then, what is the next step? Do i need to hire an attorney or just let her evict me and see what happens in court?? Thank you

FarmerJ

Cam you can review your lease and if you find no wording that allows the LL to change the lease amounts. Once you make sure there is no other wording that allows any changes send your LL a polite but firm letter including a copy of the lease asking them to highlight any language in the lease that gives them the right to change terms of the lease and send it back to you, Send it via confirmed mail delivery at the least. You dont have to do much more about it, If the LL attempted to take you to court over this I think they will learn a expensive lesson when they are denied. BUT now that your aware If I were you I would pay my rent from now on using confirmed mail delivery at the very least since when you refuse to pay it the LL might sometime decide your rent check had not arrived or use some other reason to attempt to evict. Keep any written proof of her attempt to change the lease in a safe place with your original lease like a bank box.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">