• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about church ministry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

simmi117

Hopefully someone can answer may question and thanks in advance to anyone.

I joined a discipleship group home at the end of December. Its a two year program sponsored by a church. No contract no legally binding documents were signed. Any way the guy leading the group requested $2,475 upfront for three months of program fees. After noticing several red flags and that I would not be interested in the program (Yes it was more an emotional decision but as I got my logic side working I realized the mistake) I decided to leave the program after 6 days.

As I figured the guy leading the program tried to convince me to stay and further the fight began when I requested my money back.

I packed up and left and figured I'll write a note and take legal action if it comes down to it. I just wanted to leave ASAP.

I wrote him (certified, return receipt) letter and copied all the church leaders to it. Hoping they would hold him to some accountability.

He replied that he was taking $200 from January's rent/program fee (I was there from Dec 29 - Jan 4). He then said I had to pay $782 for the room he had to fix up for me. I didn't request a room or anything in writing. He told me previously there was mold in the room and they had to tear down walls, build a bed, etc. So he's telling me I have to pay for renovations on the property. I replied that if he takes the $782 out of my program fees to include a bill of particulars for every accountable dollar and its use and receipts for all of it. He does not own the property and rents it out. He has 10 other guys living there paying $825 rent/program fees.

What action do it take from here? Any help? I don't see how he would win in court. I joined a program decided in a timely matter it wasn't for me. you would think a upright man of god he claims to be would return all the money upfront.

quincy

I joined a discipleship group home at the end of December. Its a two year program sponsored by a church. No contract no legally binding documents were signed. Any way the guy leading the group requested $2,475 upfront for three months of program fees. After noticing several red flags and that I would not be interested in the program (Yes it was more an emotional decision but as I got my logic side working I realized the mistake) I decided to leave the program after 6 days.

As I figured the guy leading the program tried to convince me to stay and further the fight began when I requested my money back.

I packed up and left and figured I'll write a note and take legal action if it comes down to it. I just wanted to leave ASAP.

I wrote him (certified, return receipt) letter and copied all the church leaders to it. Hoping they would hold him to some accountability.

He replied that he was taking $200 from January's rent/program fee (I was there from Dec 29 - Jan 4). He then said I had to pay $782 for the room he had to fix up for me. I didn't request a room or anything in writing. He told me previously there was mold in the room and they had to tear down walls, build a bed, etc. So he's telling me I have to pay for renovations on the property. I replied that if he takes the $782 out of my program fees to include a bill of particulars for every accountable dollar and its use and receipts for all of it. He does not own the property and rents it out. He has 10 other guys living there paying $825 rent/program fees.

What action do it take from here? Any help? I don't see how he would win in court. I joined a program decided in a timely matter it wasn't for me. you would think a upright man of god he claims to be would return all the money upfront.
What is the name of your state?

quincy

Did you pay in cash?

What were the terms of your oral agreement?

simmi117

I paid by check.

It was really relax. Didn't have any formality or anything of that nature. I was just told $825 a month for program fee which includes books, housing, food, utilities

adjusterjack

No contract no legally binding documents were signed.
You don't have to sign a contract to have a legally binding contract. Contracts for more than a year might have to be in writing but contracts for 3 months certainly don't.

I was just told $825 a month for program fee which includes books, housing, food, utilities
You paid for 3 months up front, and all of that was provided for you. Then you walked out of the program because you didn't like it. Count your blessings if you get any of that money back.

I don't see how he would win in court.
I don't see how you could win in court. You paid for services. Services were provided. You walked out on the service because it wasn't for you.

you would think a upright man of god he claims to be would return all the money upfront.
That's very naïve.

quincy

I paid by check.

It was really relax. Didn't have any formality or anything of that nature. I was just told $825 a month for program fee which includes books, housing, food, utilities
If this was a "limited enrollment" program, your withdrawal from the program could cost the program money that it can rightly claim from your $2475.

The church program is unlikely to be allowed by a court to collect for renovations to the home but it might be able to support keeping the original deposit.

If the church program refuses to refund your money, I suggest you review facts with an attorney in your area.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If you were an upright man of God, then you would have kept your word. I agree with Quincy and AJ. You are not entitled to any money back most likely.

quincy

I am continually surprised by people who hand over large sums of money for goods or services without anything in writing detailing the terms of the exchange.

adjusterjack

I am continually surprised by people who hand over large sums of money for goods or services without anything in writing detailing the terms of the exchange.
After 18 years on a variety of legal websites, nothing surprises me anymore.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">