• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about Collection/Judgment in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? New York

I have a account (Discover Card) with Cohen & Slamowitz.. The guy there is a complete JERK!!! I have never delt with a collection agency like this.. They got a judgement on me, froze my bank account and I wasnt EVER served with the court documents before the hearing because I didnt live at the address they had at that time (They said thats my fault, I should have updated my creditor or credit reporting agencys with my new address). I want to settle this debt, or at least get a new court hearing whats the best way to go about this?



Senior Member
rpet said:
I want to settle this debt
Contact them and negotiate a settlement. Get ANY settlement in writing before paying. Then, get a signed 'Satisfaction of Judgment' upon payment.

or at least get a new court hearing whats the best way to go about this?
From your post, they made 'proper service' and there is nothing else in your post that would indicate a new hearing would be granted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential