• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about contacting the other driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drumtrip

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? DE

I was rear-ended the a couple of days ago, we pulled over, exchanged information and took a few pictures of both cars and damages. Damage is visually minor but most likely expensive (as these things generally are). The car was registered to the driver and his father, the insurance was a family policy under their fathers name but the driver was covered. I called and put in a claim with the other driver's insurance company.

I am going out of town for a week starting tomorrow. I am dropping off the car at my auto-body shop for an estimate and leaving it there for the week, during that time the at-fault driver's insurance company will go there to perform their adjustment. The shop said they will work with the insurance to begin the repairs.

Its been 48 hours and the insurance company hasn't been able to get in contact with the driver to get their statement yet. I know that isn't a lot of time and perhaps I should let it go but I was wondering if it would be ok to try and contact the driver letting him know I put in a claim, what the claim number is, and that they need to speak with him regarding the claim. My goal is to keep the ball rolling on the claim and get repairs started so I can just pick up a rental when I get home rather than going to get my damaged car and have to bring it back again. In my experience the other driver has generally been prompt in reporting claims or giving statements so I have a bit of apprehension about leaving without getting any resolution on liability.

I would rather not go through subrogation as we just did that (in fact since we moved to DE a year ago my wife has been hit twice and me once, one of them had to go through subrogation already and it was a pain). I am going to guess advice would be to leave it alone and worry about it in a week and a half but I would like to hear thoughts. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">