• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about court, general

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wannaknowmore

I am in Virginia, my daughter's mother has custody of the child. I went to court over 2 years ago about child support payments and arrears, I paid $2,500 then but still had a balance. I went back to school, finally got my degree, but my child support has sky rocketed. I'm going to court in a few weeks, I got some grant money back from school to pay the ENTIRE balance off. Is it possible to get the case dismissed after paying the debt off and creating an escrow account with 3 months payment ahead ? I'm not trying to shuck my responsibility I'm just trying to not set it up through a regular bank account because I've had a vendictive ex do crazy stuff and I don't need this to be messed with.

LdiJ

I am in Virginia, my daughter's mother has custody of the child. I went to court over 2 years ago about child support payments and arrears, I paid $2,500 then but still had a balance. I went back to school, finally got my degree, but my child support has sky rocketed. I'm going to court in a few weeks, I got some grant money back from school to pay the ENTIRE balance off. Is it possible to get the case dismissed after paying the debt off and creating an escrow account with 3 months payment ahead ? I'm not trying to shuck my responsibility I'm just trying to not set it up through a regular bank account because I've had a vendictive ex do crazy stuff and I don't need this to be messed with.
The safest thing for you would be for you to be paying your child support via the state child support agency, preferably by garnishment from your wages. That puts you in a position of being able to prove every penny and makes it impossible for your ex to "mess" with you.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Ditto LDi.

I'm not certain what you mean by dismissing the case? Is it a hearing for contempt due to nonpayment? THAT may be dismissed if you come current, but CS will not be. Your child deserves to be supported by both parents. IF the court allows an escrow account, it will most likely be to create a bond-type situation in case you stop paying again. Most likely, a garnishment order will be made to ensure your compliance. Obviously, that would fail should you leave that employer, but then you will find yourself in the same place with a less sympathetic audience (the judge). Besides, now that you've improved your situation (by getting your degree), why would you not want to use it to support your child?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">