• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about custody - docutmentation etc.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twinmama2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My H and I have been seperated for almost 7 months. We have twin 21 month old boys. I am planning on moving forward with a divorce soon. The current (between us) visitation "schedual" allows for him to come by daily in the evening to play with the boys and help put them to bed - as well as have them overnight for one day of the weekend. I have been very flexable and accomidating in the arrangment (occastionally bringing the boys to visit him at work if he wouldn't be able to see them) - making them avalible earlier/later then usual ect. I want my H to see our children.

He actually gets by to see them about 3 days a week - and takes them about 2 overnights a month. (he and his girlfriend like to travel/go out to dinner/club etc and that does not alway "allow" for time with the kids)

I am happy with our current arrangement - but I am afraid when the "bill" for c/s comes up - he will try and get additional overnights with the boys to reduce the payment. Although I would like him to spend more time with the kids 1) in his current state he is not responsible at all -- the last time he had the boys he left them sleeping in his condo while he had dinner and drinks 8 floors below) 2) even if "awarded" i KNOW it would become a constant state of "would you mind taking them this ONE time.

Going forward, is there any type of ducmentation I should collect about him not using all his current time?? Would that matter? I DO have an e-mail from him regarding leaving the boys alone. I DO NOT want to keep our kids from having a relationship with their father -- but I want to do my best to protect them and our interests at the same time. Thanks so much!

ksutphin1

Get a GAL

I have twins and when some questionable activities with their father and his girlfriend came up I went to court and asked for a guardian ad litum (GAL). I knew I was too emotional with the situation, this allowed me to meet with a person assigned by the court to be biased. This person met with me and my ex and gave his opinion to the judge and things were spelled out right down to times. If anything went against I would be able to file a 'complaint' with the court and his rights would be reduced to minimal contact. It all depends on what you can prove. Good Luck!

Just Blue

I have twins and when some questionable activities with their father and his girlfriend came up I went to court and asked for a guardian ad litum (GAL). I knew I was too emotional with the situation, this allowed me to meet with a person assigned by the court to be biased. This person met with me and my ex and gave his opinion to the judge and things were spelled out right down to times. If anything went against I would be able to file a 'complaint' with the court and his rights would be reduced to minimal contact. It all depends on what you can prove. Good Luck!
What does your experience in VERMONT have to do with OP's case in FLORIDA?

Unless you know the statutes/case law for the state in question...keep your opinion to yourself.

We will also keep inexperienced and legally uneducated from posting their "opinions" to your own thread. ;)

LdiJ

What does your experience in VERMONT have to do with OP's case in FLORIDA?

Unless you know the statutes/case law for the state in question...keep your opinion to yourself.

We will also keep inexperienced and legally uneducated from posting their "opinions" to your own thread. ;)
What's wrong with recommending that a parent ask the court to appoint a GAL? That's good advice for ANY state.

twinmama2

So is a GAL a good idea? Again, I don't want to get H in trouble - but at the same time, I want to protect the kids and me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">