• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

isis297

State: NY

My friend is going through a divorce. They had a prenup and they went through mediation per their prenup. He decided at the signing of the legal separation that he wanted the divorce to be processed. He paid the extra amount to make that happen and she went a couple of weeks later and signed. When he was called, he told them to just put the papers in the mail to him which they did. That was over a month ago. Now he's telling her he isn't going to sign them ever. I thought NY had the automatic divorce a year after a legal separation, but she said her lawyer told her that doesn't exist anymore.

What options does she have aside from suing him for divorce herself?

isis297

Apparently she isn't using him anymore because she tried to just serve her husband separation papers and he told her if they didn't go through a mediator as per their prenup he would sue her. She was mad at herself for thinking it wouldn't be a big deal to just move ahead so she paid several hundred just for that document that ended up not being any good. Apparently the lawyer told her this while he was still on retainer which he is not anymore.

isis297

And get another lawyer before her husband screws her royally.
Thank you adjusterjack. My thoughts exactly. I was just hoping the information she had been given was incorrect, but it appears it wasn't. It's hard to believe that someone can just string the other person along like that after putting the ball in motion himself, but I shouldn't be surprised.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">