• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about employee's last paychecks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kess4667

What is the name of your state?MO
I own a couple of small businesses and I am getting ready to file chapter 7 (personal) and close them down. My concern is about the employees last paychecks. Neither store has the funds to pay them for their last two weeks of work. Will I have to pay this out of my pocket? Or will the Chapter 7 clear me?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am NOT an expert on bankrupcy. I know next to nothing about it.

However, I believe that whether you can be held personally responsible for debts of the company depends on your corporate structure.

Frankly, I'm more concerned with the rights of your employees. They're losing their jobs; is it fair to make them lose their last paychecks too?

kess4667

Thanks for your reply cbg.
Of course I'm concerned with their rights. Hence, me posting this question here. The problem is that the stores don't have the money to give them. That being said...I'm still not sure what to do.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You might try giving your state DOL a call. They may be able to tell you your options. You can call anonymously - you do not have to identify yourself or your business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">