• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about Foreign Spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blueduck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hi,
I married my spouse abroad and we have been living here for the last four years. We are looking into moving to the US but are not sure which avenue to pursue. I am an American citizen and a housewife who takes care of our young child. My husband is an IT professional with 6+ years experience. Our problem with a spousal visa is that I cannot show my ability to financially support our family and would have difficulty finding a co-sponsor. My husband has a dual citizenship from our current country and Canada. I don't think he qualifies for NAFTA as his education does not relate to his current occupation.

Any advise you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hi,
I married my spouse abroad and we have been living here for the last four years. We are looking into moving to the US but are not sure which avenue to pursue. I am an American citizen and a housewife who takes care of our young child. My husband is an IT professional with 6+ years experience. Our problem with a spousal visa is that I cannot show my ability to financially support our family and would have difficulty finding a co-sponsor. My husband has a dual citizenship from our current country and Canada. I don't think he qualifies for NAFTA as his education does not relate to his current occupation.

Any advise you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
You may use salary (income) if it will continue from the same source once in the US.
You may enlist a Joint Sponsor (why do you think you'd have trouble finding one?).
You may also use assets at a 3-1 ratio in lieu of income. This would be about $70K USD in real estate, investments, cash etc. Your husband's assets/income can be used with mostly the same formulas.

blueduck

Thanks for your reply.

I am not sure if my immediate family members who make the required level of income will be willing to co-sponsor. My husband will have to leave his current job in order to move to the US and our assets will not be sufficient as the cost of living in our current country of residency has been very draining (why we are hoping to move).

If one of my family members agrees to co-sponsor is there a good chance my husband will receive a visa? My fear is being rejected because I do not have a job.

evcalyptos

Thanks for your reply.

I am not sure if my immediate family members who make the required level of income will be willing to co-sponsor. My husband will have to leave his current job in order to move to the US and our assets will not be sufficient as the cost of living in our current country of residency has been very draining (why we are hoping to move).

If one of my family members agrees to co-sponsor is there a good chance my husband will receive a visa? My fear is being rejected because I do not have a job.
I didn't have a job when I brought my husband but we did have a lot of assets.
A Joint Sponsor is another option--please read form I-864 and the separate instructions.

The Joint Sponsor does not need to be a relative; they must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident.

blueduck

If we locate a joint sponsor would the required level of income for household size include myself and my daughter considering we are US citizens?

evcalyptos

If we locate a joint sponsor would the required level of income for household size include myself and my daughter considering we are US citizens?
Please read the form instructions, it really is all explained there.

A Joint Sponsor must count his own household, plus the immigrant.

You and your daughter do not need sponsorship and are not counted on the JS's I-864 unless you are a part of their household.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">