• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about hospital bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

My son is recovering from double back surgery. We have received the bills from the hospital to the tune of $149,562.75 :eek:. I checked the insurance company website to make sure the claim wasn't pended and the insurance company has paid. It says that we are responsible for $550.00.

I contacted the insurance company, my ex carries the insurance on the children, and they responded that this is for "incidentials" (phone, tv, guest trays, etc) and that they would not cover these. I am calling the hospital in the a.m. for a breakdown. I received an itemized bill for the stay, but it just has a lump sum coded as "999 PT CONVEN OTHER". He was only in for 3 days, Im having trouble grasping that the "incidentals" were that much given he was doped on morphine.

I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but will my ex be responsible for his "share" of these expenses? Since it wasn't for "medical" care, but still is a medical bill. Any insight would be appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

nextwife

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

My son is recovering from double back surgery. We have received the bills from the hospital to the tune of $149,562.75 :eek:. I checked the insurance company website to make sure the claim wasn't pended and the insurance company has paid. It says that we are responsible for $550.00.

I contacted the insurance company, my ex carries the insurance on the children, and they responded that this is for "incidentials" (phone, tv, guest trays, etc) and that they would not cover these. I am calling the hospital in the a.m. for a breakdown. I received an itemized bill for the stay, but it just has a lump sum coded as "999 PT CONVEN OTHER". He was only in for 3 days, Im having trouble grasping that the "incidentals" were that much given he was doped on morphine.

I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but will my ex be responsible for his "share" of these expenses? Since it wasn't for "medical" care, but still is a medical bill. Any insight would be appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Who was ordering and using "guest trays"? I was in and out of the hospital with BOTH my dying parents, and never once used a guest tray- just bought my own meals in the cafeteria. Who are you asking him to feed? The patient's food is not "guest trays".

Im sorry, I didn't mean to imply that anyone ordered a guest tray, didn't happen. I ate in the hospital cafeteria for every meal. I was just quoting what the insurance company stated were part of the "incidentals" description. The only thing that I, or any one else, was given was 1 soda that the nurse brought to me.

That is part of why Im confused as to why the "incidentals" amount being so high & why Im callling the hospital for a breakdown. No, I wouldn't expect my ex to pay for something that I created. All of the amount is due to our son, except for the one soda.....

Last edited:

Zephyr

Always go through hospital bills with a fine tooth comb....always....they are human and can make mistakes, and they are in the business to make money...if they can get you to pay $200 for a box of kleenex and call it a mucus extractor, they will. Challenge anything that doesn't seem right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">