• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about Liability Waiver- Acceptable? Also a couple of other ?s

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ErinGoBragh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I'm planning on starting a small computer repair business in the Albany, NY area.

My question is if getting a liability waiver to start, as I'll be limiting myself to working on personal computers of friends and friends of friends (working on primarily a referral basis right now), is a good idea versus paying a lot of money for commercial liability.

I realize that even with a waiver I can be sued, but if I get one to start off with should that cover me fairly well from now? Or do I just need to get the liability insurance? If it's well-written enough (I'd have an attorney draw it up), would it actually protect me in case of a lawsuit?

Also, if I'm not working under a DBA- I'm using my own name- do I need to file anything with Rensselaer county? I'm under the impression that I don't from what I saw on the website, but I'm unsure.

As always, thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">