• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about my 401k after termination and employment benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TSB203

(Pertaining to Connecticut law)

I was fired a month ago under dubious circumstances, and today I received a 401(k) statement which contained a balance of less than 100$. I attempted to withdraw that amount from my previous 401(k) from my pay&benefits account online, but discovered that balance is at zero. Though I did not personally deposit into that account voluntarily, my 401(k) was credited with the aforementioned, presumably from my employer. Am I still entitled to that amount that was in my account even if I'm no longer employed?

Additionally, my pay&benefits account reflects that my employment status was "term voluntary", which I can assume means "terminated voluntarily". The discharge paper I received on my last day indicated that I was involuntarily terminated for misconduct. Does this affect my ability to claim benefits?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Am I still entitled to that amount that was in my account even if I'm no longer employed?

That depends entirely on the terms of your specific plan; however, my best guess would be no. Not if it was deposited in error.

Does this affect my ability to claim benefits?

The UI commission is not going to take anything written on a piece of paper as gospel without investigation. That goes for both your discharge paperwork and your benefits statement. When asked, you will give the reason you understood your employment to be terminated to the best of your ability to answer; your employer will do likewise. The state will decide which answer they like better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">