• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about paternity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beth_parr

What is the name of your state?MI

One of my best friends had a baby (now around 18months old) and even though she and her boyfriend were not sure if he was the father he signed the birth certificate. The other possiable dad knows about this but is unwilling to take a paternity test.
My friend and her boyfriend now want to find out who the childs biological father is. Can they go to the courts to force the other guy to take a test even though the boyfriend signed the birth certificate?

thanks,
beth

beth_parr

all of us(our group of friends) think that is pointless. the baby looks just like the other guy. If they did that they would be wasteing there money. I know you can't go by just looks but the other guy is black. the baby didn't look mixed at first, now he does when his hair started growing in and changeing
you could really tell.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I swear, this would be a much less common issue if women would just stop giving it out to every Tom, Dick or Harry who gives them the time of day. Poor kid.

snostar

If the bf signed the acknowledgement of paternity and now does not believe the child is his, he absolutely should file in court to dissolve paternity.

beth_parr

so i'm taking it there is no way to get the other guy to take a test without the boyfriend first proving he is not the father?

snostar

The mom, bf, or any other potential father can file. So, yes, mom can file against the other man to establish paternity. Of course she is going to look like a shank after acknowledging her bf as the father first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">