• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about purchasing auto insurance for family member.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bschin2188

The state I live in is Colorado, but this is for a business law class that I am taking, and is about general law, not state specific.

The situation the professor gave us is this; In this case, a husband authorizes his wife to purchase auto insurance on his behalf, however, his wife unknowingly signs the insurance papers without understanding all the terms. One of the terms she signed waived the uninsured motorist coverage. Later on, the wife was involved in an auto accident caused by another driver who did not have sufficient insurance coverage to cover all of her damages and injuries. Did the wife have authority to reject the uninsured motorist coverage for her husband? What type of authority existed.

I am currently unable to find much information on the topics and questions presented above outside of my Business Law textbook. Any reference to precedent cases associated with this topic would be greatly appreciated, as would any advice in general.

Feel free to e-mail me personally if you wish, and I will do my best to check the responses on this forum.

All the best,

Bryan Schingle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">