• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about reporting an insurance settlement after loss in wildfire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coffee_bob

I owned two duplexes that were destroyed in one the wildfires in California last year. Within a month my insurance had paid me fully for my loss. I understand that I am liable for the capital gains taxes unless I reinvest in something in 24 months. Do I need to mention about the loss on my tax return this year or can I wait until the tax is due?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I owned two duplexes that were destroyed in one the wildfires in California last year. Within a month my insurance had paid me fully for my loss. I understand that I am liable for the capital gains taxes unless I reinvest in something in 24 months. Do I need to mention about the loss on my tax return this year or can I wait until the tax is due?
You may elect to postpone reporting the gain until the 2 year period closes. See the discussion of that starting on page 13 of IRS publication 547.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">