• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about restraining orders

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cali girl

My parents found out that my boyfriend and I where having sex, he is 21 and I am 16. They put a restraining order on him. The order is for 3yrs. My question is can I write him if he doesn't contact me back? And Can I take the order off once I am 18? I will be 18 in 1yr. and 2 months...Please help!! How do I go about taking that order off in a year??

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cali girl:
My parents found out that my boyfriend and I where having sex, he is 21 and I am 16. They put a restraining order on him. The order is for 3yrs. My question is can I write him if he doesn't contact me back? And Can I take the order off once I am 18? I will be 18 in 1yr. and 2 months...Please help!! How do I go about taking that order off in a year??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Your parents were absolutely correct ("Oh, jeez, here comes another "lesson" from one of those damned adults.") Your boyfriend is one sick puppy. You were, and still are, a child (despite what your hormones are telling you), and your boyfriend committed "statutory rape."

The restraining order is a two-way street. It commands both he, and YOU, to stay away from each other. It makes no difference whether or not you turn 18. The order is for 3 years for HIM to stay away from you. If he makes contact, it's back in the slammer.

You see, the idea here is that during that time you'll meet someone else, and someone you can be proud to bring home to Momma and Papa.

Your parents want only the best for you, and not have a rapist in the family.

(Yeah, I know. I can here your swearing, and other things you're saying)

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

C

Cali girl

Thank you for writing a reply to my posting. Iunderstand all the 'sick puppy' stuff, believe me I've heard it many times before. I just wanted to ask you IF it was possible to take the restraining order OFF in a year or if I just shouldn't even bother. It was my parents choice, not mine (obviously) and I was wondering if he would get in trouble if I sent him a letter in the mail, as long as he doesn't contact me back? Please just let me know, I need your help...This is all very hard on me. One other question, can my parents try to take him to court for statutory rape once I am 18?? Can he go to jail for something that happened lets say a year or two ago if I was 18 and he was 23?
Thanks again, sorry for all the questions, I'm just confused...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cali girl:
Thank you for writing a reply to my posting. Iunderstand all the 'sick puppy' stuff, believe me I've heard it many times before. I just wanted to ask you IF it was possible to take the restraining order OFF in a year or if I just shouldn't even bother. It was my parents choice, not mine (obviously) and I was wondering if he would get in trouble if I sent him a letter in the mail, as long as he doesn't contact me back? Please just let me know, I need your help...This is all very hard on me. One other question, can my parents try to take him to court for statutory rape once I am 18?? Can he go to jail for something that happened lets say a year or two ago if I was 18 and he was 23?
Thanks again, sorry for all the questions, I'm just confused...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Okay, I'll say it one more time:

HELLLLLL0000000000 !!

"The restraining order is a two-way street. It commands both he, and YOU, to stay away from each other. It makes no difference whether or not you turn 18."

You can't touch the restraining order. And, if you do send the letter, there's gonna be one unhappy judge in town (along with you).
Ah, but what the heck, you're gonna do it anyway.

IAAL

P.S. Anticipating your next question: "How will they know I sent a letter?" That's easy. They keep records of all incoming and outgoing mail, etc. Even if you don't sign it, believe me, they'll know.

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited April 03, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">