• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question About Sale Of Home Proceeds To Beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

allanb

What is the name of your state? In California:
My Mom Passed away 1 week ago, she had a Living Trust. She had 2 properties that are divided equally between my Sister (Trustee/Executor) and me. The homes will be sold. The question is, can the net proceeds from the sale in Escrow be sent individually and equally to my Sister and me? My Sister had "someone" who told her the proceeds had to go into a Trust. Is that correct? If so, do we both need to create an individual Trust?
Thanks, for your advice in advance.
Al

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your sister should be asking questions about how she should administer the trust. If she doesn't not understand the process, then she should seek professional legal guidance.

ETA: I can tell you that there is no requirement that either of you put any funds you receive into a trust. It may (or may not) be desirable to do so, but that is something for which you should speak to an estate planning pro.

FlyingRon

The first question is whether the properties were titled to the trust at all and if not whether the will (if any) had a pour-over provision.

As Zig says, you are going to need a lawyer to handle this no matter what.

adjusterjack

What is the name of your state? In California:
My Mom Passed away 1 week ago, she had a Living Trust. She had 2 properties that are divided equally between my Sister (Trustee/Executor) and me. The homes will be sold. The question is, can the net proceeds from the sale in Escrow be sent individually and equally to my Sister and me? My Sister had "someone" who told her the proceeds had to go into a Trust. Is that correct? If so, do we both need to create an individual Trust?
Thanks, for your advice in advance.
Al
Condolences.

Depends on the terms and conditions of the trust.

Is one of you the trustee, or both of you co-trustees?

Does the trust require that the properties be sold, or does it allow for deeding of the properties to the beneficiaries?

You might want to call a title/escrow company to find out how the proceeds from the sale can be handled under a variety of circumstances.

allanb

I should have disclosed that I am a Realtor. I had sent all of the Trust paperwork to my Title Officer and everything is good to go. He just did not want to advise me in regards to the question that I posted here for obvious reasons. According to the Trust, we can do what we want with the properties. My Sister is the Trustee and I am the alternate Trustee. There are 3 reasons we want to sell the homes, #1 is I do not want to have a business relationship with my Sister in regards to managing the properties, etc. #2, I believe the market to have topped out and want to sell to maximize profits.
#3 In 2019 California voters were duped into passing Proposition 19 which removed a $1 million dollar Property Tax exclusion upon inheriting a property unless you moved into it. The Property Tax has now gone up over 7 times the original tax my Mom was paying under Proposition 13 guidelines on the date of her death. The ROI doesn't pan out and the very distinct possibility of a downward market correction would eat away at the equity. I am 70, so I am not looking to build an investment portfolio, just looking to maintain my standard of living with the least amount of risk possible.
Thanks, Al

adjusterjack

According to the Trust, we can do what we want with the properties. My Sister is the Trustee and I am the alternate Trustee.
Then when you open escrow for the sale of the properties, your sister (and you probably know this) will sign a set of instructions that the escrow company will follow. In that set of instructions she should specify how the proceeds are to be paid to the two of you.

I have found in my own experience that those instructions are often boilerplate and if you want something specific to happen that's not already covered, they have to be retyped with the proper instructions.

The escrow people will do what is in the instructions as well as follow their own procedures.

If you don't want the check made out to the seller (the trust), you need to make sure the alternative is spelled out in the instructions and in the settlement summary (HUD-1 or equivalent).

Also have that conversation with your escrow officer.

allanb

Yes, that is good advice. As I have a relationship with both a Title & Escrow Company, I will definitely let them know of our desires with the Trusts net proceeds from the sale of the properties.
Thanks, Al

zddoodah

she had a Living Trust. She had 2 properties that are divided equally between my Sister (Trustee/Executor) and me.
What do you mean when you say the "are divided between" you and your sister? Are the properties titled to the trust or are they in your mother's name? Or have they already been transferred to you and your sister? If they're titled to the trust, what exactly does the trust says is to happen upon your mother's death?

Also note that your sister isn't "executor" until and unless she is appointed to serve in that capacity by the probate court (assuming probate of the estate, in addition to administration of the trust, is needed).

The question is, can the net proceeds from the sale in Escrow be sent individually and equally to my Sister and me?
As phrased, the answer is yes, but I doubt that's what you intended to ask. What is required/appropriate/advisable under the terms of the trust is impossible for anyone to answer without reading the trust instrument and knowing the details of the trust's and your mother's financial situations (and that's assuming the properties are titled to the trust). Unless your mother had/will have zero debt (including personal and trust tax liability for both 2021 and 2022) distributing any portion of the proceeds of the sales of what are presumably the two most significant assets before the trust is closed out would probably be unwise.

My Sister had "someone" who told her the proceeds had to go into a Trust. Is that correct?
Again, impossible to know without knowing how the properties are titled and what the trust instrument and will say.

I should have disclosed that I am a Realtor. I had sent all of the Trust paperwork to my Title Officer and everything is good to go.
I'm not really sure what this means, but it would be very helpful if you would tell us how the properties are titled.

According to the Trust, we can do what we want with the properties. My Sister is the Trustee and I am the alternate Trustee.
As long as your sister is trustee, you being alternate trustee is meaningless and, if your sister is the trustee, you (plural) most certainly cannot do what you want with the properties (and I doubt that's a reasonable interpretation of what the trust instrument says).

Your sister is the one with all of the obligations and a fiduciary duty to you (and any other trust beneficiaries). If she takes any action with respect to these properties without obtaining appropriate legal guidance, she is a fool.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">