• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about starting a business on an F1 visa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rockie345

What is the name of your state? Tx

From what I know, almost any foreign national has the right to form a business in the USA even if its a non immigrant visa, however only the person who has work authorization is allowed to work or accept employment from it. Im on an F1 visa by the way.

Now correct me If Im wrong but employment is defined by any services done in exchange of any type of compensation wether it be money or food or whatever

This is my take on this issue here as long as I donot OFFICIALLY manage the company by hiring an acting CEO but still pretty much control the operations unofficially and donot do things such as sign checks or any paper material and I donot accept any dividends for it, Im technically still only an owner and not an employee right? Although I can draw from the profit as an OWNER of the business from time to time because the drawings are not technically compensation.. and they are not a regular income.

Please tell me If Im on the right track on this issue.. am I onto a possible 'loophole' which could let me run a business.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">