• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about subcontractors and I-18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djohnson

What is the name of your state?Tennessee

I have a question about the new I-18 rule. My husband owns a business. Another business subcontracts him to do jobs. He then subcontracts out to individuals. Our insurance agency has notified us that we no longer can accept the I-18 waiver of workmans compensation for these individuals. They will have to provide us with proof of workmans comp before he can subcontract out the labor. Because these people are individuals and not businesses, the premium they are being quoted is way high and not worth it to take the jobs. Because of this new law it is making it extremely difficult to find people to do the jobs. Is there anything else they can do as individuals to get around this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">