• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about vehicle abandonment-HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?LA

My husbands Chapter 7 Bankruptcy was discharged in February of this year. We had 2 vehicles at the time that we still owed on. In July one of the vehicles was finally picked up after telling them where to pick it up at. The other vehicle ( a 2001 Ford F150 ) has still never been picked up. My husband was contacted right after the discharge and asked where the vehicle was located so they could pick it up. This has easily been 5+ months ago. The information as to where to find the truck was also included in the court paperwork that was sent to the lien holder (this is a VERY WELL known company!) We have heard nothing from anyone concerning the vehicle since then. Our lawyer had mentioned that after so much time goes by, you can file a motion for vehicle abandonment and get a clear title for the vehicle. I was wondering how much time has to go by to do this, how it is done, etc. Please note that we have in NO WAY avoided letting them have the truck back. It has been parked in the exact same place for nearly a year, and the last payment we made was in November of 2004. Any information would be VERY much appreciated. Thank you.

Ladynred

Write the lender a letter. Tell them that you are still waiting for them to pick up THEIR vehicle and reiterate WHERE they can find it. Then tell them that if they don't pick it up within xx days, you will be charging them $100/day storage fee until they take away THEIR vehicle. If you don't want to do that, take the thing to their office and leave it in their parking lot with a note and the keys.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">