• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question for alawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jackrabbit

hi! very impressed with your commments to questions.i just have a couple.
i had an insurance agent tell me to basically lie and say my son is not a smoker. admittedly he quits off and on and smokes about 4, yes 4 cigarettes a day, go fiqure, anyway even though i have decided to be truthful i am curious about this. is there some kind of personal privacy protection here or is this rep just plain wrong.also as i am in the process of changing his insurance companies i was puzzled today when my new insurer said my insurance for son will be retro-active starting from aug. 27 as soon as all the info is entered. does that mean i will have to pay insurance for those to months ttaht go retro even though he had other insurance? and if so can i re-file on some of his claims to at least recoup some of my premium money?can i go back like that with doctor bills and file on 2 difffernt insurance companies?is this a common occurance in the insurance world? do i need to cancel my soon to be old insurance company or will just not paying premiums do the trick?thanks for any advice and keep up the good work!!!!!!

ALawyer

Smoking is a significant heath and mortality risk, and thus rates are usually far higher for smokers than non-smokers, and in some case coverage may not be available to smokers.

If you were talking about life insurance, and your son lied about smoking -- even just 4 butts a day -- and he was on a plane that crashed within 2 years of the date of policy issue, the insurance company could successfully deny the claim in about half the states.

I don't know what the rules are for heath coverage in your state, or the nature of the coverage he may have had, or the new coverage. Sorry

J

jackrabbit

thank you!

thank you for your response.i am definetly as stated before going to tell the truth.i am also going to have a serious talk with my son about just quitting cigarettes for good.the previous insurance he had or has whatever we stated he was a smoker and there really wasn't much difference in the premiums.it would however no doubt be much better for him now and in the future to not have a medical history as a smoker.not to mention the obvious health reasons of course, and for the minimum he smokes why bother!he can chew on a carrot!i do think it was odd about that representative's comment.i may call and see what response i get from a different rep.
also i will find out all i need to do about his insurance companies.i feel kind of silly even having wasted your time there.
thank you again.i look forward to your post on this great board.
jackrabbit

ALawyer

Usually if someone has not smoked in 1-5 years companies give a much better rate. Some give an even better rate for those who NEVER smoked, as their bodies have not been damaged at all, but that's history he can't rewrite.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">