• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question for OG

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t74

What is the name of your state? All

OG, Can you comment on what is occurring as courts are repening for custody trials, etc when the principals, attorneys or witnesses should be quarantining , are at high risk, are prevented from entering the building for failing screenings, etc Is it generally at the judge's discretion whether to continue with a key participant missing or are there some standards that are typically applied?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? All

OG, Can you comment on what is occurring as courts are repening for custody trials, etc when the principals, attorneys or witnesses should be quarantining , are at high risk, are prevented from entering the building for failing screenings, etc Is it generally at the judge's discretion whether to continue with a key participant missing or are there some standards that are typically applied?
In Ohio, temperatures are being taken and most are requiring masks. My juvenile court is going to do just about all hearings by zoom until the first of the year to account for the bounce. Judge's discretion gives the courts flexibility to be as stringent or loose as they want. You can find videos from a variety of courts if you search. For instance the Ohio Supreme Court website has some COVID 19 videos of what courts should do as do local bars on their facebook pages.

If you are not allowed into the building as an attorney, you are sometimes in some dumb areas removed from a case because you got sick. In others, the sheriff's deputies will call the judge/magistrate and you will get a continuance. Again, my primary court is continuing with zoom hearings where she doesn't want us to go into court until we are through the worst of it. She is listening to Amy Acton and Fauci about what they recommend and the possibility of a great increase. Does that answer?

t74

It sounds like your county has a comprehensive plan.

I know our county had Zoom conferences.I hope they will be allowing Zoom appearances in trials. The trial i have been watching had a requested continuance denied even though one of the witnesses is very high risk. Even stranger, the principal opposing the delay messaged they were showing virus symptoms and was told to quarantine.. I hope that person will be denied entry into the courthouse if still experiencing symptoms.

You have to worry about the people manning the doors being exposed to people who are too irresponsible to stay home when they are ill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">