• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question law wise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

onna21

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I'm not sure if this is in the right thread or forum, but my problem is i want to know if there are any laws about someone who just walks into a person's house and make's themselves at home and never leave's the house which is not theres and did not get anyone's permission to start living in their home. To also secretly without the permission of the household owner's to change their original mailing address to the owners address. Futhermore when asked to leave, refuses to leave the house which is not theirs. I'm also not sure if a restraining order would work in this situation. If there isn't a law about people just waltzing into another person's home and moving in without asking, and refusing to leave i hope they make one. Thankyou

H

hexeliebe

come back when you have specifics not generalities
Like, who exactly is doing the sitting and relaxing, who owns the home, how did the squatter gain entrance?

O

onna21

More Specific

Bascially my younger sister's new boyfriend kept on visting longer and longer and finally never left, never asked anyone if he could stay and just started living here. He has been told to leave by my sister but won't.
My mother and my father each own half of the house we live in, my mom doesn't want to cause trouble so she does nothing.
Is there any way to get rid of this pest, law wise atleast?

H

hexeliebe

When he leaves for work, school or to see his other women on the side, pack up all his belongings and leave them on the porch with a note that says "Thank you for gracing our home with your visit. Now it's time to leave".

D

dyinginside

Also, change your locks.If he knocks at the door simply go to it and say through the door "Im sorry your no longer welcome here, please leave or I will call the police".

A

Anglo

Well trespass won't work because it doesn't actually exist. You can always transform trespass into criminal damage as soon as he breaks or damages something, or even theft if he eats/drinks something he hasn't bought. On the presumption that he never leaves, he has to commit theft to eat because he never goes to the store.

As the other dudes said above, another good idea would be to have 'Locks R Us' on standby when he next pops out. If he returns and gets abusive you've got the key components of a restraining order in the wings.

If someone else keeps inviting him in, you're on a slightly stickier wicket, in which case I'd have a serious word with the 'inviter' about there continued future in your household.

D

dyinginside

As the other dudes said above

Oh dear, dear Anglo. I would think you being from the UK and all, you'd be a bit more proper! We are NOT dudes. Please!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">