• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question Of Head Trama Patient's Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad'sGirl

Junior Member
What is the name of your state?I live in Alabama. My fiance had an accident that caused his brain to bleed. He was in a coma for about two weeks. Close to the end of the second week, his family decided that I needed not be there. There was nothing I could do because we weren't married yet. :( Now he's been in the hospital for 17 days. He's fully awake, alert, talking, and remembers everything up until the day of his accident. He's been transfered to a physical therapy center to help him relearn some small things. His parents still don't want he there. He's asked for me several times. I want to know who has the right to choose who gets to see him and who doesn't? :confused:
 


BelizeBreeze

Senior Member
Chad'sGirl said:
What is the name of your state?I live in Alabama. My fiance had an accident that caused his brain to bleed. He was in a coma for about two weeks. Close to the end of the second week, his family decided that I needed not be there. There was nothing I could do because we weren't married yet. :( Now he's been in the hospital for 17 days. He's fully awake, alert, talking, and remembers everything up until the day of his accident. He's been transfered to a physical therapy center to help him relearn some small things. His parents still don't want he there. He's asked for me several times. I want to know who has the right to choose who gets to see him and who doesn't? :confused:
He does IF he is fully aware and competent. If you can't get in to see him then call the hospital and ask for his room number, speak with him and ask him to speak with the doctor.
As long as he is 18 or older.
 

Chad'sGirl

Junior Member
Already thought of that one

BelizeBreeze said:
He does IF he is fully aware and competent. If you can't get in to see him then call the hospital and ask for his room number, speak with him and ask him to speak with the doctor.
As long as he is 18 or older.


I've personally talked to his doctors and nurses. They say he's mentally competent, but his mother is crazy and she thinks I'm trying to hurt him. She's turned the ringer off on his phone, told the nurses at the desk not to put through any calls from anyone, and she calls security on me every time I walk in before I get a chance to get to him. I've even tried screaming to him as the carry me away. I've seen him once since he woke up. He yelled and screamed until they let him talk to me. He said he doesn't want her there, but he doesn't want to hurt her feelings. He doesn't even know I'm trying to get to him right now.
 

BelizeBreeze

Senior Member
Chad'sGirl said:
I've personally talked to his doctors and nurses. They say he's mentally competent, but his mother is crazy and she thinks I'm trying to hurt him. She's turned the ringer off on his phone, told the nurses at the desk not to put through any calls from anyone, and she calls security on me every time I walk in before I get a chance to get to him. I've even tried screaming to him as the carry me away. I've seen him once since he woke up. He yelled and screamed until they let him talk to me. He said he doesn't want her there, but he doesn't want to hurt her feelings. He doesn't even know I'm trying to get to him right now.
and how old is he ? You didn't mention that did you?
 

BelizeBreeze

Senior Member
Chad'sGirl said:
He's about to turn 22
Then your only hope is to contact an attorney and see if you can file for a temporary injunction against the mother keeping you from him. But don't hold out much hope. Sounds like he's pussy-whiped if he won't tell mom to chill.
 

Chad'sGirl

Junior Member
Can I put in some kind of appeal to the hospital? She's sick and she's staying in his room with him. He's doing very well, but he's still weak and doesn't need to catch anything. He's said all she does is agrivate him and he wants her to leave. Another thing is his father has told him that he is still considered mentally unstable and he has no rights. He doesn't know that he can fight them, and I can get to him to tell him he can.
 

BelizeBreeze

Senior Member
Chad'sGirl said:
Can I put in some kind of appeal to the hospital? She's sick and she's staying in his room with him. He's doing very well, but he's still weak and doesn't need to catch anything. He's said all she does is agrivate him and he wants her to leave. Another thing is his father has told him that he is still considered mentally unstable and he has no rights. He doesn't know that he can fight them, and I can get to him to tell him he can.
You have no legal standing to do anything and I would be VERY surprised if the doctor or hospital staff even spoke to you.
 

rmet4nzkx

Senior Member
Chad'sGirl said:
NO!!!!! It was in no way my fault. He slipped and fell on wet grass. He hit his head on the road.
There is more to it than that, some reason behind their feelings. Were you with him? Was he drinking? Was there something that contributed to this? There is too much that doesn't add up.
 

Chad'sGirl

Junior Member
He had been drinking and I was with him. The doctors said it could've been many things. He's hypoglacemic (SP?) so he blacks out when his blood sugar gets low and he hadn't eaten right for a couple days before. His sister got him started doing cocaine and they said that mixed with alcohol could've made him black out. I didn't know of him doing any, but he knew I didn't like it so he would've hidden it from me. His sister and I have never gotten along because she got him started on that. I was trying to get him to quit, but she kept buying it for him. His mother abandoned him when he was four with a neighbor who abused him. She's only here because she's a sponge and his dad's paying for everything for her. I don't know why he fell, it looked like he slipped to me. I don't think it matters why he fell. The point is that it happened, nobody pushed him, and he has to recover. Now isn't the time to point fingers especially since he doesn't remember.
 

rmet4nzkx

Senior Member
Chad'sGirl said:
He had been drinking and I was with him. The doctors said it could've been many things. He's hypoglacemic (SP?) so he blacks out when his blood sugar gets low and he hadn't eaten right for a couple days before. His sister got him started doing cocaine and they said that mixed with alcohol could've made him black out. I didn't know of him doing any, but he knew I didn't like it so he would've hidden it from me. His sister and I have never gotten along because she got him started on that. I was trying to get him to quit, but she kept buying it for him. His mother abandoned him when he was four with a neighbor who abused him. She's only here because she's a sponge and his dad's paying for everything for her. I don't know why he fell, it looked like he slipped to me. I don't think it matters why he fell. The point is that it happened, nobody pushed him, and he has to recover. Now isn't the time to point fingers especially since he doesn't remember.
You may not feel the facts are important, but they are. It is basically your word as to what hapened. He was with you, doing cocaine and alcohol, hypoglysemic, not eating well...... and you are ok, thier son, isn't and doesn't remember, which is common with TBIs.
Now he's been in the hospital for 17 days. He's fully awake, alert, talking, and remembers everything up until the day of his accident.
Who are they going to blame? Their son or daughter?
You need to be educated about TBIs and expectations for recovery especialy if he has low bloodsugar.
If he already had problems with drugs and alcohol, he will have more if he continues, are you able and ready to deal with it?
Let him recover a his own pace and in time you will be welcomed back.
 

Chad'sGirl

Junior Member
It's ot just my word. It's the word of me, the police in our town, our three friends that were there, and three polygraph tests. He's 21 years old and the state sees him as legally able to buy alcohol. He doesn't do it all the time. It was for his brother's wedding party. They had a little fun with it. I'm more than willing to keep helping him with the cocaine problem, but he has to accept my help for it to do any good. I'm trying to let him recover, but his parents are treating him like a four year old. He thinks they're just trying to help, but he's told them to let him do things on his own and they wont. I really don't care if they welcome me back because they're not going to be welcome in our home or our lives when he gets out. He's agreed to this, but wants his dad there for him now. It's not his dad doing this to me, it's his mom. His dad just doesn't want to hear us fight anymore so he stays out of it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">
Top