• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question of ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Otto_2000

What is the name of your state? Maine

My husband and his brother owned a property in Maine before I married my husband. After 10 years of marriage, my husband bought his brothers' share of the house. My husband did this with a quit claim deed. I told him I wanted to be on the deed and that we should have another deed drawn up because, although he aquired half the house during our marriage, he previously owned the other half before we got married, and I questioned whether I would actually own half or all of the house. My husband says that I'm ridiculous, and that I own it all. I say I own only half, the half he recently aquired, if that.

His brother made me sign a contract that I and my husband would also be responsible to pay the mortgage that he is holding for us on his half of the house. I did sign it.

What do I own, if anything, since my name is not on the deed and what would happen if my husband died? I appreciate your time.

HomeGuru

Otto_2000 said:
What is the name of your state? Maine

My husband and his brother owned a property in Maine before I married my husband. After 10 years of marriage, my husband bought his brothers' share of the house. My husband did this with a quit claim deed. I told him I wanted to be on the deed and that we should have another deed drawn up because, although he aquired half the house during our marriage, he previously owned the other half before we got married, and I questioned whether I would actually own half or all of the house. My husband says that I'm ridiculous, and that I own it all. I say I own only half, the half he recently aquired, if that.

His brother made me sign a contract that I and my husband would also be responsible to pay the mortgage that he is holding for us on his half of the house. I did sign it.

What do I own, if anything, since my name is not on the deed and what would happen if my husband died? I appreciate your time.
**A: a real estate attorney must review your documents in order to render advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">