• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question of suspicion of theft?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonomys

What is the name of your state?
New Hampshire

Long story short went to grocery store baby was crying I grabbed 2 boxes of formula went to clerk gave her one box said I had two it was under with rest of stuff in kart, paid finished shopping paid went home got call from town police saying they think an item wasn’t paid for I told him I’d bring my reciptes. Said didn’t you have 2 boxes of formula, I go yes sir I did well here it shows only one got paid for. I saw in you kart 2 boxes, I go sir I had no idea that the clerk did not ring it up. I told her to ring it up 2 times which I’ve done before with larger items even smaller ones as long as it was same product. I go I am willing to fix this as I had no intent to not pay as you can see on camera that you watched I did not hide it, conceal it, nothing. He goes I will get back in touch. No charges or anything but to wait and see if I do is not ok. I didn’t steal. I did contact a manager their that I know he said he believed me and thinks it’s a misunderstanding and to write a letter to them. Explaining that. What does everyone suggest and this is in New Hampshire. I don’t know how someone would pay for everything but one thing and keep it out where others can see it I’m confused and frankly I feel violated!

quincy

New Hampshire

Long story short went to grocery store baby was crying I grabbed 2 boxes of formula went to clerk gave her one box said I had two it was under with rest of stuff in kart, paid finished shopping paid went home got call from town police saying they think an item wasn’t paid for I told him I’d bring my reciptes. Said didn’t you have 2 boxes of formula, I go yes sir I did well here it shows only one got paid for. I saw in you kart 2 boxes, I go sir I had no idea that the clerk did not ring it up. I told her to ring it up 2 times which I’ve done before with larger items even smaller ones as long as it was same product. I go I am willing to fix this as I had no intent to not pay as you can see on camera that you watched I did not hide it, conceal it, nothing. He goes I will get back in touch. No charges or anything but to wait and see if I do is not ok. I didn’t steal. I did contact a manager their that I know he said he believed me and thinks it’s a misunderstanding and to write a letter to them. Explaining that. What does everyone suggest and this is in New Hampshire. I don’t know how someone would pay for everything but one thing and keep it out where others can see it I’m confused and frankly I feel violated!
I wouldn't put anything in writing.

Instead, I suggest you take the receipt to the store, say the cashier missed ringing up an item by mistake, pay for the item, get a receipt.

Then wait to see what happens.

If charged with theft, consult with an attorney in your area.

Anonomys

New Hampshire

Please someone help me with this I need advice!!

Anonomys

I wouldn't put anything in writing.

Instead, I suggest you take the receipt to the store, say the cashier missed ringing up an item, pay for the item, get a receipt.
A police officer questioned me, I already tried and he practically did not except it. I need legal advise of what to do here.

quincy

A police officer questioned me, I already tried and he practically did not except it. I need legal advise of what to do here.
You can wait to be charged with theft, at which time you should find an attorney in your area.

I recommend you say NOTHING to the police and I recommend you put NOTHING in writing.

You can take my previous suggestion to pay for the item now - or not. You could speak to an attorney in your area first.

Here is a link to the law: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/lxii/637/637-mrg.htm

Last edited:

Anonomys

So my question is is are you an attorney and I know doing the right thing only could help me. But what if they still decide to charge me even tho I did not conceal the item nor knowingly take it out of store without paying.?

quincy

Whether the police will decide to charge you with theft is something I can't predict. It could depend on if the store wants you charged.

Good luck.

Anonomys

I would also like to say, nowhere in the law does it say if someone tells u something was paid for you state you did not know return to pay and then it’s not a problem it doesn’t say that.

Anonomys

Whether the police will decide to charge you with theft is something I can't predict. It could depend on if the store wants you charged.

Good luck.
Normally they don’t ask you questions, well they may but normally in doing so u get charged they did not do that as the cameras showed that I didn’t hide or conceal the item so idk it’s weird

Anonomys

Their is no solid evidence that I had the intent to steal anything, I did not conceal, or hide the item. I have no issue paying for the item I already thought was paid for. So that is what I will do to prove if theft is charged that I wasn’t intending on stealing a damn thing.

quincy

Their is no solid evidence that I had the intent to steal anything, I did not conceal, or hide the item. I have no issue paying for the item I already thought was paid for. So that is what I will do to prove if theft is charged that I wasn’t intending on stealing a damn thing.
I think I suggested paying for the item and then seeing what happens. You can discuss this with an attorney in your area to see if s/he thinks that is your best course if action.

If charged, the prosecutor must show you had a conscious purpose to appropriate the goods without paying.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Anonomys

I guess it would just be nice to know for sure with the exact. That’s how it happened I should not even be questioned and if charges I will sue them. So they could potentially lose a lot from this. Which is probably why the officer didn’t arrest me that day. Bc I didn’t conceal it on camera so he’s stuck trying to figure it out but they try and I’ll sue

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I guess it would just be nice to know for sure with the exact. That’s how it happened I should not even be questioned and if charges I will sue them. So they could potentially lose a lot from this. Which is probably why the officer didn’t arrest me that day. Bc I didn’t conceal it on camera so he’s stuck trying to figure it out but they try and I’ll sue
You were given good advice. There's really nothing more you can be told.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">