• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question of suspicion of theft?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CdwJava

I guess it would just be nice to know for sure with the exact. That’s how it happened I should not even be questioned and if charges I will sue them. So they could potentially lose a lot from this. Which is probably why the officer didn’t arrest me that day. Bc I didn’t conceal it on camera so he’s stuck trying to figure it out but they try and I’ll sue
If they arrest you after the fact, it's going to be because a warrant was issued. If arrested on a warrant, good luck in any lawsuit. And questioning suspects is what the police do. Nothing you mention here seems to be untoward so I do not know what in the world you'd sue anyone for.

Keep in mind that an arrest needs only probable cause to believe a crime was committed and that you committed the crime. The circumstances minimally meet that requirement. If I had to guess, I'd say that no one is going to pursue the matter, and I suspect the store is not going to make a sufficiently big stink about it to sort of force anyone's hand in making an arrest. But, since the business is the one who can and will likely have the last word, itmight benefit you to follow Quincy's advice and pay for the item.

Anonomys

Um excuse me? Cause your advise is not needed. Your being a child by even bothering to write this. Your probably some low life who has no one so u go on threads like this and cause issues, I was explaining my side so the person answering would know all details and if they have practiced law they would know it’s not good advise, I’ve spoken to my lawyer thanks though wasted space smh!

Anonomys

If they arrest you after the fact, it's going to be because a warrant was issued. If arrested on a warrant, good luck in any lawsuit. And questioning suspects is what the police do. Nothing you mention here seems to be untoward so I do not know what in the world you'd sue anyone for.

Keep in mind that an arrest needs only probable cause to believe a crime was committed and that you committed the crime. The circumstances minimally meet that requirement. If I had to guess, I'd say that no one is going to pursue the matter, and I suspect the store is not going to make a sufficiently big stink about it to sort of force anyone's hand in making an arrest. But, since the business is the one who can and will likely have the last word, itmight benefit you to follow Quincy's advice and pay for the item.
Again someone thinking they know law! You can sue for wrongful accusations, and the list goes on including sue for giving a bad rep all that. They have to be certain before questioning me that I stole something. Which they did not have or they would of stopped me at the store! That wasn’t the case. But if you know law so well you’d also know that if charges come to the innocent and I prove my case to be true the store is and can be held liable

CdwJava

Um excuse me? Cause your advise is not needed. Your being a child by even bothering to write this. Your probably some low life who has no one so u go on threads like this and cause issues, I was explaining my side so the person answering would know all details and if they have practiced law they would know it’s not good advise, I’ve spoken to my lawyer thanks though wasted space smh!
Wow ... so ... WHO is behaving as the petulant child?

I'm sorry that my explanation somehow offended your fantastical notion of how the laws of arrest work and where liability might lay.

CdwJava

Again someone thinking they know law! You can sue for wrongful accusations,
Nope. Maybe if someone is spreading libelous or slanderous rumors all over, but merely reporting and/or investigating a crime? No.

They have to be certain before questioning me that I stole something.
Just WHERE did you get THAT idea?! Also not true.

But if you know law so well you’d also know that if charges come to the innocent and I prove my case to be true the store is and can be held liable
Also not true. Prevailing at trial would not necessarily mean you are innocent or that the report, arrest and prosecution was without good cause. You'd have to show that the accusations were made by someone knowing they were false (and maliciousness might also be an element in your state). A mistake by the reporting party does not generally a falsehood make.

But, fear not, as it is unlikely anyone is going to bother pursing a petty matter such as this so you are getting all worked up over nothing. Chill. Relax.

Just Blue

Again someone thinking they know law! You can sue for wrongful accusations, and the list goes on including sue for giving a bad rep all that. They have to be certain before questioning me that I stole something. Which they did not have or they would of stopped me at the store! That wasn’t the case. But if you know law so well you’d also know that if charges come to the innocent and I prove my case to be true the store is and can be held liable
Why are you so rude? Are you in Manchester or Nashua? From living in NH for several years it really amazed me how rude people in Manchester and Nashua were....must be the water or something. BTW: There is no way on earth, based on your description of events, that you didn't know that you weren't charged for the second box of formula. You knew the clerk made a mistake and left the store without paying for the item. That, Rude Child, is theft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">