• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on continuation of insurance after lay off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Macona

I worked in Washington, live in Oregon. I was recently laid off and have a question about the agreement pertaining to continuation of insurance.

In the separation contract it states:

"If Employee elects continued coverage, Employee's share of the cost for such coverage shall be determined on the same basis as applies to active Employees for the lesser of three (3) months and the period that Severance Pay is payable to Employee pursuant to section I(a) above (the "Cobra Assistance Period")"

The above I(a) section refers to me getting 3 weeks of Severance.

So my question is this. They are now saying that since my severance has just ended, I am responsible for the full premium for COBRA.

During the meeting with the HR person when they let me go they told me I had three months of benefits, and it seems to me from the contract I do while I pay my normal deductible as if I was employed.

-Jerry

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">