• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on law for living arrangements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? N.J

I would like to ask if anyone would know in the State of NJ is it legal for a single Father to have custody of hi s4yr old daughter
and live in a one bedroom apartment ?
My cousin and his girlfriend just broke up ,she's pregnant and supposedley my cousin is the Father,He told her that he would like a DNA test after the baby is born ,she got up set and wants him to sign his parental rights away and if he doen't she said she would call diface on him ,cause he has custody of his first child which is a girland they live in a one bedroom apartment ,she states that if a man has custody he needs to have 2 bedrooms not one ,mind you the Bedroom is his daughters ,could diface take her away for that ? after all he is a very good Father,he doesn't even have his clothes in there it is her room 100% this didn't sound right to me



just my opinion............

I think in the State of New Jersey, a child can be in the parents bedroom until the age of 5, but dont hold me to that, I may have gotten that mixed up with siblings of the opposite sex. I really wanted to try to help you and also bump up your post so that maybe someone who might know the answer would respond. Have you tried any sites pertaining to NJ Laws? I think it the room is strickly the childs and nothing else is in there of his, than he really doesnt have any problems. But that is just my opinion. Have you suggested that maybe he get an apartment that has a little more space, just in case she plans on using this as a plan, he has all of his bases covered? Is he a fit parent otherwise?
How long has he had custody of his daughter?....Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential