• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on minor child as bene

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jemcco1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN
Does anyone know how ins. co's look at life insurance policies regarding minor benes? As part of a divorce decree, my son was ordered to be named as bene for a specific dollar amount until he reached the age of majority. He is now 20 and a full time college student. I wondered if life ins. was similar to health ins.- considered a minor as long as he is a "dependent" full time student under 21.
Provided that doesn't apply, would the ex spouse have had to designate a new bene after our son turned 18 in order to keep him from receiving the benefit? Would the ins. co disclose the bene info to my son, considering he is next of kin (ex spouse suddenly passed away last weekend)? Probate has not been opened yet, long story (I posted that on the appropriate board)
Would the ex-spouse have to rename a new bene after our son turned 18? I don't know if he changed it or not, and hopefully when my son calls tomorrow, the insurance company will tell him who the listed bene is.....
The policy is with Met Life.
thanks

momm2500

do you know if the policy is still in effect? you will first need a copy of the death certificate. contact the insurance company and let the know that the ex has passed and that your child is the beneficiary and what their procedures are to receive the benefits

jemcco1

Yes, the policy is still in effect. Will the insurance company even disclose to him if he was beneficiary or not?

ShyCat

Will the insurance company even disclose to him if he was beneficiary or not?
How could they not?

"Yes, you are the beneficiary. What is your current address?"

or

"No, you are not a beneficiary. We cannot provide any further information to you. Goodbye."

jemcco1

Just found out the ex kept both myself and our son as beneficiaries on this policy, and the ins. co has already emailed me the forms. Now, am I correct to assume that life insurance passes outside the probate process? My son's other family members are already hard at work removing assets from his father's residence and this insurance policy is likely the only thing he will receive from his father's estate. Will they be able to contest the insurance payout? The customer service rep I spoke to told me there had never been any changes to the beneficiary status during the duration of the policy.
Thanks, by the way, for the great advice from all the folks on these forums. You guys have no idea how much help you are to others in need. :)

seniorjudge

Q: Now, am I correct to assume that life insurance passes outside the probate process?

A: Yes.

Q: My son's other family members are already hard at work removing assets from his father's residence and this insurance policy is likely the only thing he will receive from his father's estate. Will they be able to contest the insurance payout?

A: It is not from his father's estate (as you correctly pointed out). Anyone can sue anybody for anything at any time anywhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">