• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question On Obtaining An Order Of Protection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lvzwlvz

What is the name of your state? So. Dakota

For all the right reasons, to protect myself and my children, I have to try & obtain a protection order against a current live in partner. For the past few months, we've had to endure his almost daily verbal torment, many threats & early signs of physical abuse that can & mostly likely will escalate, especially when he finds out that I plan to leave him. As of now & unknown to him, On Jan. 17th I have some friends coming here from out of state to financially & physically help us move away from him. Whether or not there are any more forthcoming reasons, on or around Jan. 16th, I plan to head to court to seek the help we need in order for all of us to stay safe. Upon the judges decision for consideration of issuing an ex parte temporary order of protection, how recent do the actions of the abuser have to be? Will I still have a chance of getting one issued, even if there aren't any new offenses in the next few weeks? Is leaving an abusive situation also a reason to ask for the courts protection?

H

hmmbrdzz

You need to request a restraining order now. You also need to contact someone at your domestic violence program at the court house and ask these questions. Each situation is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. A representative will help you. If he has not abused you recently, you could have some problems getting the order. The best policy -- get the order at the time of the abuse or as quickly thereafter as possible. When you move, call the police and advise them you anticipate problems and violence. They will make certain there is no violence during your move. Do not tell this abusive partner your plans, and do not attempt to begin moving unless you have called the police and have advised them of your situation.

hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">