• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding H1B visa status and travel outside country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I need urgent information and help. I am in uS and got my H1B visa through a consultants this yr. These consultants have yet not provided me with H1B documents and say they will only give me I-797 at present and not I-129 and other documents.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Can I apply for H1b transfer without the I 129 form?
2. They still have not arranged for any project for me. What can I do in case they do no find a project for me? I have not been given any pay stubs for this month. My H1B status is effective from Oct 1 2008.
3. If I do not get any project or pay stubs will I be out of status? If yes, after how many days from my effective H1b status date? If no, then what is the rule?
4. In case if my consultants do not find a job, should I change my status to a dependent F2 (my previous status)
5. Can I travel to my home country without form I-129. My consultants have told me that I cannot travel atleast 6 to 8 months from my effective H1B date. Is this the case?
6. What documents do I require to re-enter once I travel to my home country?

Please help!! I have no clue how these consultants work.

Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential