• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding Libel/Slander/Defamation in Virginia.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HilarityEnsues

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia.

I have a question regarding defamation. My girlfriend and I have been dating for close to 4 months now and I'm having to put up with some infuriating bull**** on behalf of the father and a horse trainer whom my GF lives with.

Here's a little background info.

I am 26 and my girlfriend is 21.
When we first started dating I was only allowed to come out if I worked on their 15 acre farm feeding horses, building shelters etc etc. I stopped going out there after I spend 8 hours moving hay "to the barn closest to route 30". This is how the text read from the horse trainer. After moving all the hay, the horse trainer and father returned from a day of driving around town shopping for tack. Without so much as a thank you I ended up being told the hay was in the wrong spot and I had to move it all behind the treeline. I spent the rest of the night with my girlfriend and and left in the morning without touching the hay. Now I only go over the pick up my girlfriend and spend time with her. Since I no longer bust my ass for them they have become angry at me.

This next part is relevant information.

My GF's father has grown cold toward the mother, and is planning on leaving her because she doesn't work and spends a little of his money here and there. She doesn't work because she is a recovering alcoholic and just had a hip replaced last month. About 3 weeks ago the mother bought a couple of movies and the father lost it. My girlfriend texted me a few days later stating the father plans to move in with the horse trainer and leave my GF, her autistic brother and the disabled mother behind with no one to pay bills. If the bull**** continues I will let the mother know she can take the father to court for marital abandonment, but thats a topic for a different day.

The father and horse trainer also spend weekends together 1 to 2 times month. They claim they go out to horse shows but I have a feeling it's a cover. 2 weeks ago they went to New York for 10 days for a "horse show" and to visit the horse trainers family. I don't doubt the part about visiting family because the horse trainers father passed away a couple of months ago and she was pricing out tickets to attend the funeral.

Anyways, she recently turned 21 and her father claims she is now an adult. So last weekend for the first time she was allowed to stay at my place, and we went to an anime convention last Saturday. On Sunday she stayed at my house while I was working, and when I got back she was sleeping. I woke her and she looked at her phone. Her mother sent her a text asking her to be honest because the horse trainer told her she "was putting weight on around her mid section" and she wanted to know if she was pregnant. I took She called her mother and told her this was due to her working around the house taking care of her while she was recovering and not having time to go tend to the horses on the property, and assured her she was not pregnant. I took her home shortly after that and the father took the family and I out to dinner.

This Monday she posted a facebook status asking whomever was spreading rumors around town that she was pregnant to please stop. Then last night I get a text from her saying her father and the horse trainer just sat her down and told her I was going to knock her up and then leave her. This leads me to suspect the father and horse trainer are spreading the rumors in an attempt to damage my reputation and to cause us to break up. I have no evidence that they are doing it, and I'm not saying they're the ones spreading rumors. I just have a gut feeling they are involved.

I want to know if this is considered defamation of character. I'm getting fed up with the gossiping and disrespect because they are friendly when I'm around but when I'm not there they start talking **** behind my back.

If this continues I will take it court if my rights are being violated, if not I will confront the both of them and let the mother and horse trainers boyfriend know about their plans to move in together.

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia.

I have a question regarding defamation. My girlfriend and I have been dating for close to 4 months now and I'm having to put up with some infuriating bull**** on behalf of the father and a horse trainer whom my GF lives with. ...

... last night I get a text from her saying her father and the horse trainer just sat her down and told her I was going to knock her up and then leave her. This leads me to suspect the father and horse trainer are spreading the rumors in an attempt to damage my reputation and to cause us to break up. I have no evidence that they are doing it, and I'm not saying they're the ones spreading rumors. I just have a gut feeling they are involved.

I want to know if this is considered defamation of character. I'm getting fed up with the gossiping and disrespect because they are friendly when I'm around but when I'm not there they start talking **** behind my back.

If this continues I will take it court if my rights are being violated, if not I will confront the both of them and let the mother and horse trainers boyfriend know about their plans to move in together.
It sounds an awful lot like gossip - not nice, but not likely to harm your reputation severely enough to warrant a legal action.

I suggest you try to separate yourself from the dad and horse trainer as much as possible. I would not confront anyone about anything.

Good luck, HilarityEnsues.

HilarityEnsues

I figured as much. Now that I've calmed down I'll just drop by to pick her up and nothing more. However if they try to confront me will give them the tongue lashing of a lifetime.

Silverplum

You leave them alone, just as you want to be left alone. :cool:

And, son, only a person with age and experience can truly give someone "the tongue-lashing of a lifetime." ;) :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">