• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding potentially having my record sealed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
I live in California and was recently charged with misdemeanor grand theft via embezzlement. It was my first offense and I was given three months to perform some community service, after which the charge is to be reduced to petty theft. I was informed that after completing two years of unsupervised probation as well as paying restitution, the charge will show as dismissed.

Will the charge will be eligible for petitioning to have my record sealed? Cases in which the charge was dismissed are eligible, however is my dismissal eligible as well?


Senior Member
Are we talking about JUVENILE findings? Or, adult convictions?

A "dismissed" offense is not a "sealed" offense, and adult offenses don't get "sealed." And, if you never went back to court for the dismissal, chances are it has NOT yet been dismissed. You will have to check the local court and then also check the status of your state criminal history by running your criminal offender record through DOJ ... http://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints/security

Search the state court site below - it will likely answer most of your questions:


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential