• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding serving a subpoena

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AxialTilt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello

I had the small claims court issue a subpoena from in order to have a defendant appear for a hearing. I wanted to get the subpoena served via a process serving company. But whenever an attempt is made, the person is lying about his identity and giving his name as 'John Doe'. The process serving company has mentioned that they cannot serve the document here because the person is not disclosing his true identity. I am sure he will not accept any certified mail either because he knows that he should not accept it once he looks at the sender's address. What options do I have now?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello

I had the small claims court issue a subpoena from in order to have a defendant appear for a hearing. I wanted to get the subpoena served via a process serving company. But whenever an attempt is made, the person is lying about his identity and giving his name as 'John Doe'. The process serving company has mentioned that they cannot serve the document here because the person is not disclosing his true identity. I am sure he will not accept any certified mail either because he knows that he should not accept it once he looks at the sender's address. What options do I have now?
This question should have been added to your other thread: https://forum.freeadvice.com/small-claims-courts-24/small-claims-order-execution-question-646568.html

What sort of process serving company did you use?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">