• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zardoz

California is the state I reside in. I rent a room in a home of a close friend. My questions are concerned with my friend. A few years ago, her husband walked-out on her. She was unemployed at the time and he left the house payments totally on her. Three years later she finally received final divorce papers, which stated that she was required to remove his name from the mortgage and to refinance it in her name only. She was financially unable to contest the divorce or to comply with its orders. Now, she has defaulted on the mortgage, which has ruined not only her credit, but her ex husband's as well. He is suing her (for what, I'm not sure). Could anyone please tell me what will happen or what to expect from the court proceedings? She can't afford a lawyer and won't appear in court. Will he be awarded the home? Will she be evicted? If so, what does this process entail and how long will it take? Thank you so much for your help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
California is the state I reside in. I rent a room in a home of a close friend. My questions are concerned with my friend. A few years ago, her husband walked-out on her. She was unemployed at the time and he left the house payments totally on her. Three years later she finally received final divorce papers, which stated that she was required to remove his name from the mortgage and to refinance it in her name only. She was financially unable to contest the divorce or to comply with its orders. Now, she has defaulted on the mortgage, which has ruined not only her credit, but her ex husband's as well. He is suing her (for what, I'm not sure). Could anyone please tell me what will happen or what to expect from the court proceedings? She can't afford a lawyer and won't appear in court. Will he be awarded the home? Will she be evicted? If so, what does this process entail and how long will it take? Thank you so much for your help.
Please have one of the legally involved parties log on to ask their own questions, thank you.

Zardoz

Please have one of the legally involved parties log on to ask their own questions, thank you.
I was asked by my friend to post on this forum her "own questions" concerning her upcoming legal issues because she is unable to do so herself due to health issues. I apologize that I am not directly one of the "legally involved parties".

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was asked by my friend to post on this forum her "own questions" concerning her upcoming legal issues because she is unable to do so herself due to health issues. I apologize that I am not directly one of the "legally involved parties".
Honestly, there is no way that any of us can predict what will happen. I'm sorry, but there is simply not enough information. You may wish to suggest that she, at the very least, seek a consultation with an attorney who can advise her based on her specific circumstances.

Zardoz

Honestly, there is no way that any of us can predict what will happen. I'm sorry, but there is simply not enough information. You may wish to suggest that she, at the very least, seek a consultation with an attorney who can advise her based on her specific circumstances.
Thank you so much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">