• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cmpino

my son's dad and i switch every other week. what can i do when my 3yr old son cries and says he doesn't want to go with him, every time i tell that his dad is coming to pick him up, and is it good for him to have such dramatic changes every other week? colorado

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Stop telling the kid ! He doesn't need to know anything until his father arrives. Geez !

Father and child are absolutely entitled to a relationship, even if the 3 year old doesn't appreciate it now. He will later. Your job is to make sure the child goes, so that the relationship and the bonding can be fostered.

To withhold your child will get you into court REAL FAST.

You hand the child over, and you bite your tongue.

IAAL

C

cmpino

i'm sorry if i gave you the impression that i am trying to keep my sons dad from seeing him. I'M NOT i know he has every right to have a relationship with his dad and i don't have a problem with it. it just hurts to see him sad and to see his dad do and say anything to get to go with him even if it's a lie.

Ambr

some things that i tried.

we try not to get involved with games or fun things. it seems hard for a child to stop playing and having a good time to leave with dad.

another thing would be to not mention anything and just let dad pop by. they could go get a soda or an ice cream and go visit grandma and grandpa. the child leaves happy and there isn't such a hard transition.

seeing you upset only upsets the child more. it will be hard to watch, but the child will adjust to it and start looking forward to trips to dads.

C

cmpino

thank you very much your suggestions, they really helped me out. he still cried but he didn't freak out as much. Thank you again.

Ambr

glad they helped.

our son was almost two when he started the back and forth thing. there where times that he didn't want to go, it is tough to make them, but you need to try. dad gave in a couple of times and told him he didn't have to and then scheduled something else for them in the middle of the week. (this was as our son got older)

it may seem like he doesn't want to go, but when he gets there and is having fun - they may have the same problem. he may not want to leave to come home. but when he sees you, he is happy again.

it is confusing for them, but (sadly) they adjust well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">