• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

questioning a judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hotwings

What is the name of your state? MO

this is kinda long, but i really need some help.
i was served papers from a law firm in october 2000. i made
payment arrangements immediately with them. i made a payment
in dec and another in the beginning of jan. i have paperwork
from the attorneys office showing the judgement against me is
1-11-02. how can the judgement date be after i made arrangement and after i made 2 payments? i don't think this is legal. if i made arrangements and stuck with them, can they file
a judgement after the fact? please advise.
thanks,
hotwings

djohnson

Did those two payments pay it off in full? If there is still a balance they may have filed for judgement on that.

JETX

"how can the judgement date be after i made arrangement and after i made 2 payments? i don't think this is legal. if i made arrangements and stuck with them, can they file
a judgement after the fact?"

I think you are believing the 'urban legend' that by making ANY payments, a creditor cannot sue you. Simply, that is not correct. A creditor is under no obligation to accept anything less than that stated in the written agreement. So, if you are in breach of the agreement, the creditor can sue you (and get a judgment) at any time.... even while accepting payments from you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">