• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questioning a Minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mominsc

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

Are there "rules" when it comes to a minor being questioned by a police official? Does a parent/guardian or legal council have to be present during questioning? My son is 14 and was arrested at school today and the arresting officer did not want the school police officer to let me know. Several hours later and after my son was taken to the Dept. of Juvenile Justice the arresting officer returned to the local police dept. and met with me. During the meeting he said several things throughout the meeting that leads me to believe he questioned my son while he was in his possession. My concern is what was said by my son...could the officer lead my son to say incriminating things unaware of the fact that he was doing so. Please help.

delinquent acts

According to the law, juveniles commit "delinquent acts" and not crimes. Juveniles are not required to be given the same rights as adults. Miranda rights are not required, nor is parental consent. I know it doesn't seem right, but that is the way juvenile law is set up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">